Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how are there no good stock applications?

Beans

how are there no good stock applications?

I was going through the software center looking for stuff I would find useful, and I searched for stocks and only one app came up that is rather unpleasant to use. I was expecting to see a whole lot of them....

How has no one developed a good one to use? Or am I just missing one that is already there?... I tried searching stock, stocks finance, searched google for them, etc.

Just a rant, but maybe a good idea for some lurking developer out there....

Beans

Re: how are there no good stock applications?

Like what? If you gave the MS Windows equivalents, people may get an idea. But, generally, I agree that "financial" stuff isn't well represented.

Beans

Google for 'Merchant of Venice stock trade'.

That one should do more than what you want. There are a few others, but I cannot remember the names.

OK, here are more: Grism, Qtstalker, Jstock, Eclipse Trader, Fcharts.

Google will find them for you. If Merchant of Venice is too intense, try Jstock and Fcharts.
    Last edited by HermanAB; August 12th, 2012 at 03:18 PM.

Beans

hmm.. well I actually can't think of any that are direct on the windows, I'm not sure if there are any, but I am talking about something like the iphone stock app, or bloomberg.

Or something like freestockcharts.com

The perfect app in my mind would be something that lets one:

1. pull up different stock charts in different formats (Bar, line, candle, etc.)
    2. Be able to change bar time-frame
    3. Has some basic indicators (moving averages, fibonacci, MACD, etc.)
    4. be able to draw on the chart (horizontal lines, trendlines, etc)

this is of course a little over the top, simply being able to pull up stock charts and look at them in some different time-frames would be enough for me.

.......just an idea

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by LLCoolJeff View Post
    I was going through the software center looking for stuff I would find useful, and I searched for stocks and only one app came up that is rather unpleasant to use. I was expecting to see a whole lot of them....

How has no one developed a good one to use? Or am I just missing one that is already there?... I tried searching stock, stocks finance, searched google for them, etc.

Just a rant, but maybe a good idea for some lurking developer out there....
    I feel your pain. I use beancounter and run Quicken under WINE myself. For analysis, I use a paid website (only $75/yr) that I'm extremely happy with. I suspect you and I look for every different types of programs. I do fundamental analysis, not technical analysis. I would LOVE for a clone of Investors Toolkit to be available on Linux that directly connected to the supported data feeds for that tool. Toolkit uses lots of OCX - I've never gotten it even close to working under WINE. I spoke with the developer of Quant IX http://www.investmentaccountmanager.com/ about Linux support. He was interested, but only if it was financially worth the effort. He supports OSX and MS-Windows already. The OSX product was his personal "itch." Supporting a 3rd platform is very difficult for a small software maker.

I have been temped to create a stock program, but accessing data has huge legal implications and decided it wasn't worth it.

PM me if you'd like to discuss further.
    Last edited by TheFu; August 12th, 2012 at 03:37 PM. Reason: added toolkit

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by HermanAB View Post
    Google for 'Merchant of Venice stock trade'.

That one should do more than what you want. There are a few others, but I cannot remember the names.

OK, here are more: Grism, Qtstalker, Jstock, Eclipse Trader, Fcharts.

Google will find them for you. If Merchant of Venice is too intense, try Jstock and Fcharts.
    I was writing my reply when you said this..

thank you, and I will check them out and let you know what I think when I have a minute. Quick question though....

Is there going to be a lot more software not available in the software center already on ubuntu? For some reason I thought it would all be listed on there, but I guess it makes sense that there would be stuff unlisted that google would have to provide.

noob mistake I guess

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

http://www.grism.org/ ?

EDIT: i overlooked someone already mentioned.
    Last edited by Jakin; August 12th, 2012 at 03:28 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

When close to achieving you quit! If you don't try you failed. Real Winners are not afraid of losing.
    ubuntu newsletter ; Report Papercuts (small annoyances/bugs) ; beginners guide and video http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z0tNpt5RZYI

Beans

Howdy,

There are tons of Java programs that will run on Linux and also paid non-free programs fr financial use. So, if you need something specialized, then you got to google for it.

Bear in mind though, that if you want to run a program that is not part of the distribution, then you got to be careful with updates, since a distro update may break your third party program.

Jstock looks nice!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Is anyone else interested in sharing our research on these tools?
    Perhaps in a google-docs spreadsheet something like this: https://spreadsheets1.google.com/ccc...CMWSqM8P#gid=0 for media players?

I won't use any programs based on java, call it a personal preference. Anyway, if each of us looks at 2 programs, we'd be done quickly and having something to share.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast