Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anyone having problems with Firefox 18.0?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Anyone having problems with Firefox 18.0?

Hey, Paddy, thanks for trying to keep me straightened out...

If I go into Add-ons Manager, and click on Extensions, I'm down to 3 now. Well, two that are enabled.

'Adblock Plus 2.2.1' & 'Ubuntu Firefox Modifications 2.6' are enabled.

I disabled 'Global Menu Bar Integration 3.6.4' in order to get middle-clicks working as they should from the Bookmarks drop-down.

I described the Menu Bar Integration incorrectly in the previous post. I apologize for the confusion.

It's entirely possible that I've used sudo by mistake instead of gksudo. I've known for quite a while that there's a difference, but I've never fully understood the difference and keep forgetting to invoke gksudo correctly.

So far FF seems to be acting as expected. Middle-clicks do what I want them to do, and I've been able to access secure websites. Thanks very much for the help!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Bartender View Post
    'Adblock Plus 2.2.1' & 'Ubuntu Firefox Modifications 2.6' are enabled.
    I also have Adblock Plus 2.2.1.

I disabled 'Global Menu Bar Integration 3.6.4' in order to get middle-clicks working as they should from the Bookmarks drop-down.
    My Global Menu Bar Integration 3.6.4 is enabled, and my middle-click works correctly.

It's entirely possible that I've used sudo by mistake instead of gksudo.
    In that case, open a terminal and enter the following command, which I hope would solve that problem (it may not solve it completely, unfortunately, depending on what has happened since).
    Code:
    sudo chown --recursive ${USER}:${USER} ~/.mozilla
    I've never fully understood the difference and keep forgetting to invoke gksudo correctly.
    When you run sudo, it uses your own home folder. If you are using simple commands such as cp, which do not save any settings, this is fine. But as soon as you use applications that save settings, they end up being saved in your home folder instead of root's home folder — and, worse, with root owning the files.

You can use sudo -H instead of sudo to fix this problem. However, sudo requires a terminal to ask for your password, whereas gksudo uses the GUI; so if you want to run sudo from a non-terminal (e.g. from Alt+F2 or from a script called from the Launcher), you need gksudo. It's best to get into that habit.

You can't always safely use gksudo instead of sudo; for example, in the command I gave you above, chown would have affected the wrong folder. As a guide, always use sudo for simple line commands, and gksudo for GUI applications.

Some people suggest that you can use gksu instead of gksudo. However, there is a subtle difference that on very rare occasions can cause system problems, so please avoid gksu.
    Always make regular backups of your data (and test them).
    Visit Full Circle Magazine for beginners and seasoned Linux enthusiasts.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Thanks very much!

I ran the terminal command you included.

I also copied your reply into a LibreOffice doc called "PC Notes". Any time I run across something handy it goes into that doc, because I won't remember a year later.

Your explanation of gksudo vs. sudo was helpful to me, and since it's pasted into that doc I can revisit when needed.

Odd that you get the correct response to a middle-click from the Bookmarks folder and I don't. I'm using a wired Logitech Mx518 mouse. In Linux the mouse's extra buttons are only partially functional, but the right/middle/left clicks have acted as expected for several years over various versions of Ubuntu.
    Last edited by Bartender; January 27th, 2013 at 06:11 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I ran the terminal command you included.
    Did it solve the problem?

I also copied your reply into a LibreOffice doc…
    I do a similar thing. My document (a plain text file) is already early 8,000 lines long!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

That is right about using sudo to launch gui aplications, I had forgotten that I use an alias to in my case kdesudo because the habit of using sudo is deeply ingrained in my psyche.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Grinage View Post
    I use an alias to in my case kdesudo
    That's a bit risky, because gksudo changes ${HOME}. You could lose or overwrite files if you forget about that.

It's much safer to get into the habit of using sudo for non-GUI commands, and gksudo for GUI programs. (I presume that kdesudo works like gksudo; correct me if I'm wrong.)

BTW, please mark the thread as solved if it has solved your problem.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123