Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone having problems with Firefox 18.0?

Beans

Smile Re: Anyone having problems with Firefox 18.0?

Quote Originally Posted by Martin E View Post
    I'm wondering when the official Ubuntu 12.04 package is going to be available?
    I just ran UpdateManager, but it seems I'm still on 18.0 (gecko.buildID;20130107224849) while my Windows box updated last week.
    Updated now

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Anyone having problems with Firefox 18.0?

Just ran Update Mgr. a few minutes ago. A 20+ MB Firefox update was in the list. Yay!

Closed Firefox, restarted, same problems. Secure websites won't accept a username in the box, etc.

Chrome isn't bad, but I'm used to Firefox. Have run into rendering problems with Chrome on a few MarketWatch websites.

Just checked - it's Firefox 18.0.1 now. Waiting on 18.0.2, I guess...
    Last edited by Bartender; January 23rd, 2013 at 02:49 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I haven't had any problems at all with FF 18.

Disable all your extensions and recheck. If it works, re-enable the extensions one-by-one until you find the one that is causing the problem.
    Always make regular backups of your data (and test them).
    Visit Full Circle Magazine for beginners and seasoned Linux enthusiasts.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by puebloan View Post
    I had trouble with java when I updated.
    Me too. My banks login has stopped working.
    Unfortunately java is working otherwise.
    So now itw between the bank and firefox and java.

Guess I'll have to stay with windows for that

Beans
    Distro

OK, here's a quick test.

On the Ubuntu Forums, if I click on "Search" in Firefox (left-click or middle-click) I get the big Search window with all the options for advanced search, search by user, etc. This windows pretty much fills the screen.

If I click on Search in Chrome, I get the small drop-down that I used to get in FF. As seen in attachment.

I'll disable all extensions and try again.

EDIT: Only have 4 add-ons. Global Menu Bar integration (which was already disabled), Adblock PLus 2.2.1, Tab Utilities 1.5.1, and Ubuntu Firefox Modifications 2.6. Without Tab Utilities, Firefox reacts to mouse clicks very stupidly. It treats everything as a left-click. It won't open in a new tab, etc.

With all disabled, no difference. Clicking on "Search" at Ubuntu forums opens the full Search window instead of the small drop-down.

Paddy, I hope you'll forgive me for ill thoughts but I kinda wish yours was broke too so you could tell me what you did to fix it!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bartender; January 25th, 2013 at 04:36 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Bartender View Post
    Paddy, I hope you'll forgive me for ill thoughts but I kinda wish yours was broke too so you could tell me what you did to fix it!
    LOL. Instead of wishing mine was broken, let's take advantage of the situation to try to find what is different. That, I hope, will help us find what is breaking yours.

1. Enter the following two commands in a Terminal, and paste the results here.
      Code:
      echo ${DESKTOP_SESSION}
      uname --all
      lsb_release --all
    2. First, which version specifically of Firefox do you have? Menu > Help > About Firefox gives me 18.0.1.
      About Firefox.png
      Does yours read the same as mine?
    3. Start Firefox in Safe Mode. Close all instances of Firefox; then, from a Terminal, enter the following:
      Code:
      firefox -safe-mode
      What happens then?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

When I had this problem, I reset firefox disabling all the extensions, addons, etc, which actually helped solve numerous problems not just this one. Once you do the reset you have to re-install your favorite add-ons and extensions, so it might help to make a list of the ones you want before you do this.

Instructions on how to do this can be found here:

http://browsers.about.com/od/firef2/...-Mac-Linux.htm
    Last edited by Grinage; January 25th, 2013 at 06:20 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

After I read this forum I began having trouble with my Firefox installation. If Reseting Firefox doesn't work, here is what I did to solve the problem.

Step 1: export bookmarks-- Bookmarks> Show all Bookmarks> Import and Backup> choose either html or choose Backup... to create a json file.

Step 2: Export, print, or write down saved passwords and websites-- Edit> Preferences > Security > Saved Passwords

Step 3: print or write down your add-ons and extensions -- Help> Troubleshooting Information

Step 4 : purge firefox -- sudo apt-get remove firefox --purge

Step 5: delete .mozilla directory in your home folder if you use Thunderbird or Seamonkey you will remove only the .mozilla/Firefox folder -- sudo %filemanager

Step 6 close your file manager

Step 7: Reinstall firefox -- sudo apt-get install firefox

Step 8: Start Firefox re-download your add-ons and extensions -- Tools> Add-ons

Step 9: Import your Bookmarks if any -- Bookmarks > Show All Bookmarks > Import and Backup

Step 10: Reference your password list as needed to get firefox to save them

Enjoy your Firefox Experience. Mozilla notes on their website that we should be cautious in the number of add-ons and extensions we have active, too many can cause glitches during upgrade or slow down our browsing experience.

%filemanager represents the file manager of your choice, ie. dolphin, nautilus, thunar or whatever one your ubuntu flavor happens to use or is your favorite

.mozilla is a hidden file unless you have root permissions you won't be able to erase it or affect or do anything besides look at it. Use sudo to open your file manager just for this task and then close your file manager root can do a lot of damage to your system

Alternatively, mozilla says we should be able to go to a terminal and type firefox-p to create a new profile without doing the above, but that didn't work for me, and neither did the reset firefox option. If you are a thunderbird or sea monkey user, make sure you be careful to only remove the Firefox folder in .mozilla or you will lose everything!

Beans
    Distro

Hi, Paddy - Results of the code you gave -

Code:
    hammer@hammer-HP-Compaq-dc7800-Convertible-Minitower:~$ echo ${DESKTOP_SESSION}
    ubuntu
    hammer@hammer-HP-Compaq-dc7800-Convertible-Minitower:~$ uname --all
    Linux hammer-HP-Compaq-dc7800-Convertible-Minitower 3.2.0-36-generic #57-Ubuntu SMP Tue Jan 8 21:44:52 UTC 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    hammer@hammer-HP-Compaq-dc7800-Convertible-Minitower:~$ lsb_release --all
    LSB Version:	core-2.0-amd64:core-2.0-noarch:core-3.0-amd64:core-3.0-noarch:core-3.1-amd64:core-3.1-noarch:core-3.2-amd64:core-3.2-noarch:core-4.0-amd64:core-4.0-noarch
    Distributor ID:	Ubuntu
    Description:	Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS
    Release:	12.04
    Codename:	precise
    OK, this is odd - using Synaptic, I uninstalled Firefox, then used the Force Version tool. The only choice was FF 11.0. I took it. No improvement. Can't get into any secure sites.

Then I followed your instructions for Safe Mode. Still no joy. The Ubuntu Search comes up with the full-on Search window, not the handy drop-down. I could at least enter my username & password at Fidelity Investments, but I got the same "Error - incorrect username or password" message that I've been getting since the Firefox upgrade to 18.0. I tried my bank, login fails. Tried CapitalOne (credit card) and I get a screen I've never seen before. It says I need to install Javascript.

I already checked in Synaptic - javascript installer is installed.

I fired up a different Ubuntu desktop PC. This one runs Lubuntu on top of Ubuntu 12.04. It has Firefox 17.0.1. Fidelity Investments log-in works on that PC!

I don't know what all of this means, but since FF 11.0 is also acting stupidly on our main PC I'm guessing it has something to do with Java??

EDIT:
    I followed Grinage's instructions. Back to FF 18.0.1 now, and was able to log in to Fidelity! The one immediate problem was that Firefox was right back to being unable to distinguish a right-click (open in new tab) from a left-click when in Bookmarks. I disabled the Unity Firefox Global Menu extension and it appears we're back in business.

It's really sad that Canonical is in such a rush to hitch their star to the tablet/touchscreen movement that us traditional desktop users have to wade through bullsh** just to get a DE that's half as functional as the one we had a few years ago. I know several people with aging XP rigs. I'd like to have them take Ubuntu out for a spin, but if the web browser can't stay in gear it's not worth the grief...
    Last edited by Bartender; January 26th, 2013 at 12:56 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Grinage View Post
    sudo %filemanager

%filemanager represents the file manager of your choice, ie. dolphin, nautilus, thunar or whatever one your ubuntu flavor happens to use or is your favorite

.mozilla is a hidden file unless you have root permissions you won't be able to erase it…
    I can see a problem there. Please never use sudo for root access to GUI programs; use gksudo instead. That could explain why your .mozilla folder was inaccessible to you without root access, and therefore could explain the Firefox problem that you had! Folder .mozilla should have been completely available to you without root access.

Quote Originally Posted by Bartender View Post

Back to FF 18.0.1 now, and was able to log in to Fidelity!

I disabled the Unity Firefox Global Menu extension and it appears we're back in business.
    Two things.

1. My default extensions are called "Global Menu Bar Integration 3.6.4" and "Ubuntu Firefox Modifications 2.6". I am a bit concerned that your name seemed different. Please check the names and versions, in case they differ in your case.
    2. Bearing in mind what Grinage said, have you at any time run GUI programs with sudo instead of gksudo — especially Firefox?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast