Thread: What is the best way to make a SINGLE USER look like Win7 or WinXP?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Thumbs down What is the best way to make a SINGLE USER look like Win7 or WinXP?

I have my computer, I dual-boot it with Ubutu 12.04 and Windows XP Professional.

The other computer in the house has about 1/2 the stats of mine (1/2 the RAM, 1/2 the CPU, and 32-bit instead of 64,) so sometimes they need to use my computer.

Unfortunately, this means that sometimes they need to use my computer.
    The fact that the Unity panel is on the left, and not the bottom, the fact that the theme is different, and everything else that's different from Windows bugs them. The only thing that they really like that comes with Ubuntu is Firefox (which everybody in the house loves.)

I think I can take care of everything else; all I need is the best method to dress Ubuntu up as Windows. I've installed LXDE, and given a pretty impressive attempt at making it look like Windows XP (see attached screenshot,) but it feels a little off.

I've seen this, but I'm not sure how well that handes multi-user setups. Also, I'd prefer a Windows XP theme over Windows 7.
    Apparently I've found the one situation in which Windows provides more low-level hardware access than Linux…
    https://unix.stackexchange.com/q/446088/26420

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: What is the best way to make a SINGLE USER look like Win7 or WinXP?

Beans

Re: What is the best way to make a SINGLE USER look like Win7 or WinXP?

if you have lxde, what more do you want changed?

i might install xfwm4 (the xfce window manager), and xfce4 settings to configure it.
    and perhaps use royal xfwm4 from the xfce look website.

then maybe gnome icons, or maybe there are some which look like Windows icons.

i just downloaded win2-7 pack icon theme from gnome look, purely for the icon theme. extract, then locate files >> icon-theme >> extract the 2 folders and paste into /home/username/.locale/share/icons
    Last edited by black veils; January 18th, 2013 at 09:54 PM.