I'm new here, but wanted to pass along this info ASAP for everyone who is building their own Ubuntu 12.04 desktop computer, like I did two weeks ago, and is having trouble getting the wireless connection to work.

Here is what I built (all from NewEgg), and the hardware worked fine with the Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit OS, except for the wireless:

Box: Rosewill Challenger (Love it!!!)
Mobo: ASUS F2A55-M LK PLUS A55 FM2
CPU: AMD A6-5400K 3.6 G FM2
Mem: GSkill 4Gx2 F3-14900CL9D-8GBS
HD: WD 500 blue
PSU: Corsair CX430
DVD: Asus DRW-24B1ST
Card Reader: Transcend TS-RDP5K

I won't name the two wireless adapters I bought -- one USB, and one PCI-e -- because I don't want to look like I'm blaming the manufacturer, but... they didn't work, no matter how I tweaked the connection information in Wireless Manager. They were recognized, they were supported, they saw the wireless network in my house, but they couldn't make solid contact with it. I tried the USB first, and then I tried the PCI card, but nothing worked.

So I broke down and bought a third one -- a Panda Mini Wifi USB adapter ($15 from Amazon) -- and it worked immediately, without me having to edit any of the connections using the Wireless Manager. Plug n Play all the way.

So based on my experience, I'm giving it a recommendation.

btw: Is there an area in this forum where people who have successfully built Ubuntu-only desktops can share their advice so others can avoid their pitfalls? It seems like there would be a great benefit to pooling people's experience in order to recommend builder systems at the $500, $1000 and $1500 price points.