Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Proposal for a new, unique Linux Distro

Beans

Proposal for a new, unique Linux Distro

Fellow Linux Users,

My name is Noah Bangs. I have thought about this idea of an awesome Linux distro for quite some time. I think I should speak my mind.

This idea of mine is a Linux distro built with 100% open source libraries/software, and uses the power of Wine and Darling (A Mac Compatibility layer for Linux created by Lubos Dolezel) to natively run Windows, Mac (Yes, I know about their licensing restrictions), and Linux software in one.

Compatibility layers are cool, but the support for most programs need to be way ahead of the competition (Like what the people at ReactOS are doing with their open source implementation of Microsoft Windows).

Despite all that, I personally would love nothing more than to make this. The trouble is, thanks to my Asperger Syndrome, I can't program. That is why I am trying to find volunteers to help me out and make this thought a reality. I know it will be completely legal because only open source software will be used.

You don't have to help if you don't want to, but I would appreciate if any one did. Anyway I just thought I'd speak my mind.

Cheers,

Noah Bangs

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Proposal for a new, unique Linux Distro

It is possible to install Ubuntu with only free software. There is a test case for it at Quality Assurance. It explains how to do it.

http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/qatracker/testcases/1307/info

Basically, we press enter at the first purple/aubergine screen. Then select the language and press F6 - select Free Software Only and press enter and then Esc and we are back to the options to TRY or Install.

Do you realize that someone who wants an entirely Free and Open Source Linux distribution would never use proprietary software on such a system?

You have a built-in contradiction in wanting an entirely Free and Open Source Linux and also wanting to run proprietary software.

Also, you will find that some of that proprietary software will not run unless you have proprietary fonts installed.

So, why object to installing third party software (which includes proprietary fonts) if you want to run proprietary applications?

Regards.
    Last edited by grahammechanical; December 15th, 2012 at 02:09 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Hidden!

Thread moved to Recurring Discussions.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    It is possible to install Ubuntu with only free software. There is a test case for it at Quality Assurance. It explains how to do it.

http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/qatracker/testcases/1307/info

Basically, we press enter at the first purple/aubergine screen. Then select the language and press F6 - select Free Software Only and press enter and then Esc and we are back to the options to TRY or Install.

Do you realize that someone who wants an entirely Free and Open Source Linux distribution would never use proprietary software on such a system?

You have a built-in contradiction in wanting an entirely Free and Open Source Linux and also wanting to run proprietary software.

Also, you will find that some of that proprietary software will not run unless you have proprietary fonts installed.

So, why object to installing third party software (which includes proprietary fonts) if you want to run proprietary applications?

Regards.

thank you for the response.

the reason why is because of 2 things:

1. I don't want to run into legal roadblocks.

2. I just want a simple OS that can natively run proprietary stuff without the risk of crashing. I generally don't like running back and forth.

just thought I'd tell you

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Have you tried Virtual Box on a Ubuntu host?
    You can run Windows and OSX but you need the install disks, (or iso's).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by C.S.Cameron View Post
    Please do not discuss the use of OSX on non Apple Hardware.
    This account is not active.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by C.S.Cameron View Post
    I have.

One drawback is that you can't use all the ram, hard drive space, etc.

Look at the people at ReactOS. There making a open source implementation of Microsoft Windows using GPL software.

I don't understand why my Linux Distro idea isn't popular. I'm not complaining or anything, I just wonder why.

I would use stuff like NTFS-3G(FUSE), GNUStep, Wine, etc.

I guess I just wanted to try.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by MrLinux2011 View Post
    I don't understand why my Linux Distro idea isn't popular. I'm not complaining or anything, I just wonder why.

I would use stuff like NTFS-3G(FUSE), GNUStep, Wine, etc.

I guess I just wanted to try.
    It's okay to try.

There are a couple of problems with your idea (and trust me, you're not the first to think of it):

1. There's nothing that can run Macintosh programs on Linux without running the Mac OS too.

2. If you managed to write such a thing, it would probably take you as long as it took the Wine developers to write theirs - something like 8 years to achieve still a low amount of compatibility. Windows 8 apps are still totally unrunnable on Linux and may need a few years of Wine development to be usable, and every time a new Mac OS point version comes out it breaks compatibility.

3. You'd need some way of linking Windows and Mac programs seamlessly into the desktop. Not unsurmountable, but you'd need to be a pretty good programmer to write wrappers and modify Wine APIs.

4. If your project was a success and worked well, it would discourage people from writing native Linux programs.

5. If your project was a success and worked well, you'd be sued into oblivion. Even if you did everything legally. Apple and Microsoft would not sit by and let you take away any of their revenue streams.

It's a great idea in theory, but it would only ever stay in theory. Look at the ReactOS people; they've been working on their operating system for years, reusing Wine code, and still they can barely get the thing to boot up on real computer hardware. I'm not diminishing their efforts - in fact I admire how well they've done against the odds - but simply stating how difficult it is. Impossible for someone who can't program.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdalbum View Post
    It's okay to try.

There are a couple of problems with your idea (and trust me, you're not the first to think of it):

1. There's nothing that can run Macintosh programs on Linux without running the Mac OS too.

2. If you managed to write such a thing, it would probably take you as long as it took the Wine developers to write theirs - something like 8 years to achieve still a low amount of compatibility. Windows 8 apps are still totally unrunnable on Linux and may need a few years of Wine development to be usable, and every time a new Mac OS point version comes out it breaks compatibility.

3. You'd need some way of linking Windows and Mac programs seamlessly into the desktop. Not unsurmountable, but you'd need to be a pretty good programmer to write wrappers and modify Wine APIs.

4. If your project was a success and worked well, it would discourage people from writing native Linux programs.

5. If your project was a success and worked well, you'd be sued into oblivion. Even if you did everything legally. Apple and Microsoft would not sit by and let you take away any of their revenue streams.

It's a great idea in theory, but it would only ever stay in theory. Look at the ReactOS people; they've been working on their operating system for years, reusing Wine code, and still they can barely get the thing to boot up on real computer hardware. I'm not diminishing their efforts - in fact I admire how well they've done against the odds - but simply stating how difficult it is. Impossible for someone who can't program.
    I understand.

If I may address these problems:

1. There is a project called Darling that is in early development that is able to run Darwin/OSX programs.

2. I guess I should try and save up a ton of money then.

3. I try finding some in the future.

4. Needless to say, maybe there are die-hard OS fans out there.

5. But how come ReactOS isn't sued into oblivion by Microsoft by now? I really don't think people can sue a product, which has no code written by them except GPL code, just because they are losing money. It would just be totally unfair.

I just don't understand why there would be problems in the first place.
    Last edited by MrLinux2011; December 17th, 2012 at 10:24 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

if you are really concerned about only using free software try gnewsense (http://www.gnewsense.org), its ubuntu with all the good stuff ripped out

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast