Thread: Do I need to reinstall Wine ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Do I need to reinstall Wine ?

I've been trying to install an old copy of Dragon Naturally speaking ver 5 on my ubuntu 12.04 lts via Wine 1.5.21 on a 64bit pc.

All was going swimmingly, until a 'register now' window popped up, and everything froze.
    I used the Ctrl-PrtSc-Alt-reisub method to escape, then after rebooting tried again. Various attempts followed to try both uninstalling/repairing/modifying the installation, but at some stage(variable) the mouse freezes.

I've read various threads concerning the general approach to removing packages, but I would like to know if the simplest might be to remove Wine and reinstall it.
    My reasoning is that one consistent pop up I get says

C:/windows/ is either a root directory or is reserved for Windows use.
    Please select a different directory to install Naturally Speaking
    so I assumed that a deletion/reinstall might clear this, as I can't see how I can choose another directory ?

Please advise,
    Regards
    John
    It's like doing jigsaw puzzles in the dark.

Beans

Re: Do I need to reinstall Wine ?

I don't think you'll need to reinstall wine because all your locale files will remain.
    If you wanna do-over the installation just delete ~/.wine or if you put somewhere else then there.

The error message you are receiving could possibly be because it won't allow you to install in that directory C/windows. Try program files or something.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks Lila7714.
    Yesterday I discovered 'Playonlinux', so I might try that as an alternative route to getting DNS on board.

Either way, persistence usually pays
    John

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Sorry to tell you this, but the WineHQ site rates DNS v5 as Silver -- meaning, there are major features that do not work (otherwise, it would have been rated Gold or Platinum):

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...ation&iId=2077

PlayOnLinux might help, but with this low a rating, it's not likely to make a difference.
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans
    Distro

Hi Mark.
    Yes, I was aware of the 'Silver', but being an optomist I thought that as I had a copy of 5, I would give it a try.
    The tests posted on that page are pretty ancient, so who knows what might have progressed since then .
    Finding playonlinux, with its auto selection of an apropriate wine version, might also have a bearing on a better outcome.

Regards
    John