Thread: Beginning a Career?

Beans

Question Beginning a Career?

I'm getting into college soon, and am currently studying in C++. My question is, is what kind of code does Ubuntu run on? Do they code their apps in the software center with c++, Java, etc.?

Also, I'm not sure if this forum was created by actual developers, but what kind of positions are offered (besides coding.)? Sales, Computer Technician, etc.

I know there's also a thing about being a certified Linux "user." I've tried out LOTS of distros. And I think I can do well to help people who need it out. Of course, I need to practice more, but that goes without saying for most careers.
    Last edited by ProxyCyber; January 15th, 2013 at 03:49 PM.

Beans

Re: Beginning a Career?

Hello,

"My question is, is what kind of code does Ubuntu run on?"

It can run almost everything in World. C, C++, PERL, bash scripts, Java ...

If you want to work with kernel and drivers I think you should learn C language.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Beginning a Career?

The linux kernal is written in C as are most programs.

That said there is nothing to stop you using other languages.

Canonical has been pushing "Quickly" as a programming environment for simple applications so Python is becoming more popular. That said, if exists as a language its probably been used.

There is certainly stuff in C, C++, Python, Perl, Java, and probably plenty more too.

Which should you learn? Depends what you want to write.

C is essential if you want to work with the kernel and definitely worth learning even if you don't.