Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Very odd internet connection problem

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Very odd internet connection problem

Quote Originally Posted by randytuggle View Post
    resolv.conf shows 8.8.8.8 and when I ping it, it works fine. I'm using wired ethernet without any wi-fi, too. I tried the network reboot method you suggested, and nothing helps. This is really odd.
    Ok, let's summarize. Please correct anything you think that I have wrong:
    * wired ethernet - eth0 is the device
    * you can ping 8.8.8.8 - the google DNS
    * /etc/resolv.conf is automatically generated and has 8.8.8.8
    * you can ping it.
    * you have disabled wifi - check the ifconfig output (post it would be good)

There are DNS commands that will query the DNS server.
    * dig google.com
    * host google.com
    Do those work?
    Can you use Chromium to visit those web pages?

Try those commands with msn.com and hotmail.com. Do they work?

Look inside your /etc/hosts and /etc/nsswitch.conf files (please post them). Both should be tiny - 20 lines or less.

/etc/nsswitch.conf should have lines like this:
    Code:
    hosts:          files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] wins dns mdns4
    networks:       files
    I'd post my /etc/hosts file, but it is huge. Here's an article on Lifehacker that I wrote about this: http://lifehacker.com/5817447/how-to...the-hosts-file

Yours probably looks something like this:
    Code:
    127.0.0.1 localhost
    127.0.1.1 lubuntu

# The following lines are desirable for IPv6 capable hosts
    # ::1 ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
    # fe00::0 ip6-localnet
    # ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
    # ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
    # ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
    # ff02::3 ip6-allhosts

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Grenage View Post
    Is there a reason you're using resolve.conf, rather than the Network Connections GUI?
    Lubuntu - the key thing is not to edit /etc/resolv.conf in 12.04 and later. It is a generated file from the resolvconf tool. I can see where this is great for GUI users, but it sucks for me personally and for people running servers without a GUI.

I looked in my LXDE menus ... don't see anything related to networking available there. What is the actual program name we can run? there is nothing that starts with netw* on the machine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

You have everything correct so far. My ifconfig shows:
    eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:13:72:e2:e9:7c
    inet addr:10.0.0.6 Bcast:10.0.0.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
    inet6 addr: fe80::213:72ff:fee2:e97c/64 Scope:Link
    UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets:25948 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:23121 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:22549474 (22.5 MB) TX bytes:5949624 (5.9 MB)

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
    inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
    inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
    UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
    RX packets:50 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:50 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
    RX bytes:8242 (8.2 KB) TX bytes:8242 (8.2 KB)

I can successfully run dig and host on google.com but msn.com brings up no ip info as google did. I can load google in chromium, but cannot load msn.com

I don't have files for etc/hosts or nsswitch.conf.. odd.
    In search of the perfect OS...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    Lubuntu - the key thing is not to edit /etc/resolv.conf in 12.04 and later. It is a generated file from the resolvconf tool. I can see where this is great for GUI users, but it sucks for me personally and for people running servers without a GUI.

I looked in my LXDE menus ... don't see anything related to networking available there. What is the actual program name we can run? there is nothing that starts with netw* on the machine.
    Ah cheers; I had missed the Lubuntu flag on the post.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    Resolvconf does not depend on a GUI.

Resolvconf is new, so some server admins don't know yet how to configure it. It's not too hard. If an interface is configured via DHCP you don't have to do anything extra. For static configuration of an interface using ifup you have to add a "dns-nameservers" option to the relevant stanza in /etc/network/interfaces. See resolvconf(8) and the following blog posting.

https://www.stgraber.org/2012/02/24/...-ubuntu-12-04/

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I can successfully run dig and host on google.com but msn.com brings up no ip info as google did. I can load google in chromium, but cannot load msn.com

I don't have files for etc/hosts or nsswitch.conf.. odd.
    msn.com not being resolved with either of those commands, yet other websites are working, probably means they are under some sort of attack or that China or Pakistan pushed a bad routing table again and stole all their IP addresses ... again.

Did you find a different set of DNS servers to use? I never asked where you were - I assume in the USA since Comcast. There are DNS performance tools available which will help you locate the fastest DNS for your specific location. Just be certain that you trust completely the DNS provider who you select. DNS is the basis of all trust on the internet. HTTPS can easily be broken with a less-than-honest DNS provider involved.

If you were running MS-Windows, I'd strongly suspect your machine had been hacked and you had a rootkit, viruses, and all sorts of other nasties on it. DNS is the backbone of internet trust.

Everyone should have an /etc/hosts file and /etc/nsswitch.conf file.

At this point, I think you want to force a reinstall of the networking stuff on your box. Sadly, I don't know the name of the package - I'd guess netbase and net-tools.

Code:
    sudo apt-get --reinstall install net-tools  netbase
    is my guess. I don't know if this is a good idea or not. The /etc/network/interfaces file should be reworked after this. I'd have a great backup and expect a 20% chance that reinstalling the OS might be necessary - before running that command. Everything will probably be fine, but ....

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jdthood View Post
    Resolvconf does not depend on a GUI.

Resolvconf is new, so some server admins don't know yet how to configure it. It's not too hard. If an interface is configured via DHCP you don't have to do anything extra. For static configuration of an interface using ifup you have to add a "dns-nameservers" option to the relevant stanza in /etc/network/interfaces. See resolvconf(8) and the following blog posting.

https://www.stgraber.org/2012/02/24/...-ubuntu-12-04/

This is true, but when you've been adding
    nameservers and search to the /etc/resolv.conf file with scripts for 20+ years and it stopped working with 12.04, THAT does suck. It took me some time to find a solution and another day to update AND test the automatic tools which manage these files across our infrastructure. I had better things to do that day. Plus, there isn't any added functionality for servers (static IPs) provided that I can see, besides another level of indirection.

The text file method was working just fine for servers. The resolvconf devs should have made that tool backwards compatible, IMHO. Change for the sake of change seems foolish. I'm just sayin'. </rant> Sorry for that. I do feel better now.

I'm not saying that it isn't an improvement for GUI users on DHCP. It definitely seems to be for them.

It would be extremely helpful if the default /etc/network/interfaces file actually contained an example for static IP configuration - all commented out. THAT would be useful with the dns-nameservers listed and would help people transition quicker. Everyone is a critic, including me.

Beans
    Distro

I think I'll just let this go rather than do a potential reinstall. This has been an issue on previous installations as well.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I think I'll just let this go rather than do a potential reinstall. This has been an issue on previous installations as well.
    Really? That is good to know. Perhaps your cable modem or router are failing?
    I've had a comcast modem fail a few times. If the modem partially fails, getting the DHCP address and extra parameters ... like the DNS servers to use .... can break too.

Beans
    Distro

I'll blame comcast. LOL!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast