Thread: [x]Ubuntu 12.10 - using usb modem

Beans

[x]Ubuntu 12.10 - using usb modem

I'm running xubuntu 12.10. I'm using Hauwei K4605 USB modem to connect to the internet, but i have to remove the SIM card evey time from my phone and put it in the usb modem.
    Now i was wondering if there is some way to receive calls on my PC via usb modem. I was trying Wammu, but couldn't connect.
    Any suggestions and ideas would be appreciated.

Re: [x]Ubuntu 12.10 - using usb modem

Moved to Absolute Beginners.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

you should try this link: http://nohands.sourceforge.net/
    ------------------------------------
    Do return and give the result
    Last edited by john rosswrock; January 16th, 2013 at 04:14 PM.

Beans

Tnx, I'll give a look.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

You might be going about this counterintuitively!

Your phone has the ability to access the 3G data network. It also has the ability to make phone calls. You can connect the phone to the computer.

The modem can access the 3G data network and connect to the computer, but it can't deal with phone calls easily.

Why not use your phone as a 3G modem? This is called "tethering". Phones that run stock Android, or that have been flashed with a community ROM, can share their 3G connection with your computer, or even create a wifi network for a handful of devices. It's a simple option in the settings.

If your phone doesn't run normal Android, check the Settings anyway as some device manufacturers keep it in. If the option is definitely not there, there's heaps of tethering apps in the Google Play store.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

Tnx for your advice.
    I tried it sometimes but it was too complicated because of bad signal of 3G network. Moving the phone lead to diconnections and it was not worth of my nerves.
    Now I'm not using usb modem any more so there's no need to search for new solutions.