Thread: Set correct partitions and mountpoints during install

Beans

Question Set correct partitions and mountpoints during install

Hi there,

I just bought recently a new HDD and I'd like to install Ubuntu 12.04 64bit on it as OS. Since I'm a bit new to Linux I don't know exatly how should I create the partitions to fit my needs. I'd like to have 4 partitions in the following order:
    1. SWAP (6GB as my RAM)
    2. System (30 GB, mounted to /)
    3. Home (400 GB, mounted to /home)
    4. www (50 GB)

I'm developing websites so I'd like to have a separated partition just for these projects (www). Where should I mount it? Can I mount it also to / or should I mount it to /var/www ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Set correct partitions and mountpoints during install

The choise where to mount it is yours. You can mount it directly at /var/www or you can make some data mount point like simply /data. However, if you want apache to read the files directly from /data you will have to do some changes in the configuration I guess (I haven't worked much with apache).
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by darkod View Post
    The choise where to mount it is yours. You can mount it directly at /var/www or you can make some data mount point like simply /data. However, if you want apache to read the files directly from /data you will have to do some changes in the configuration I guess (I haven't worked much with apache).
    Thanks for the reply Darkod, it's good to know that I have this kind of freedom. Ubuntu rocks.

Beans

When you reach the disk partitioning stage during installation, pick "manual." You can then specify the sizes, filesystems, and mount points for each partition.

I strongly recommend you don't use four primary partitions. I'd make swap and maybe / be primaries, but make the rest an extended partition. Then you're not limited to four partitions and can make changes more easily if you need to.

I sometimes create the partitions before installation by running off the installation medium in "Try Ubuntu" mode and using fdisk from the command line to create the partitions.
    Last edited by SeijiSensei; January 16th, 2013 at 05:22 PM.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    When you reach the disk partitioning stage during installation, pick "manual." You can then specify the sizes, filesystems, and mount points for each partition.

I strongly recommend you don't use four primary partitions. I'd make swap and maybe / be primaries, but make the rest an extended partition. Then you're not limited to four partitions and can make changes more easily if you need to.

I sometimes create the partitions before installation by running off the installation medium in "Try Ubuntu" mode and using fdisk from the command line to create the partitions.
    Thank you for these infos. And just one more question. What kind of filesystem should I use? Ext2, Ext3, Ext4?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I use ext4, not sure if someone else will have preference for the older ext3/ext2.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by darkod View Post
    I use ext4, not sure if someone else will have preference for the older ext3/ext2.
    Ok, thank you. Since then I googled about these types, and now I see what's the difference. But for me it was a bit new thing.

Now I'm facing with an other problem, but this will be an other thread.

Learning something new is always funny.