Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: UEFI > Secure Boot > Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: UEFI > Secure Boot > Ubuntu

This is nuts. I've configured BIOS/UEFI, Fast Boot, Legacy and Secure Boot in so many different ways and NONE of them change a damned thing.

So far not one 32 bit live CD or live DVD distro will boot (including Ubuntu 12.04, 12.10 and 13.04). The only Live media to boot have been 64-bit editions of Ubuntu 12.04/12.10/13.04. And a couple 64-bit Ubuntu-based distros. Other than that, nothing boots. Not Fedora, not OpenSUSE, not SolusOS, not Fuduntu, not PCLinuxOS, not Manjaro, not Gparted...

UN FREAKIN' REAL.

Last edited by Uncle Spellbinder; January 24th, 2013 at 12:38 AM.
    Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without Music, Life Would Be A Mistake" - So, what album are you NOW PLAYING?

My Last.FM | My Original Music at Jamendo

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I do not think there are any 32 bit versions that support UEFI. UEFI is for newer computers that all are 64 bit capable. No reason for 32 bit.

The State Of Linux Distributions Handling Secure Boot
    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTI2MzI

You have to have fast boot off. On some systems that may "brick" the system if left on and Windows does not boot.
    UEFI boot live-usb bricks SAMSUNG 530U3C,np700z5c laptop - fix released
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-cdimage/+bug/1040557

Most have to have secure boot off to install and you have to boot install media in UEFI mode to install correctly. Some report then it just works with secure boot on or off, others have issues.
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Spellbinder View Post
    This is nuts. I've configured BIOS/UEFI, Fast Boot, Legacy and Secure Boot in so many different ways and NONE of them change a damned thing.

So far not one 32 bit live CD or live DVD distro will boot (including Ubuntu 12.04, 12.10 and 13.04). The only Live media to boot have been 64-bit editions of Ubuntu 12.04/12.10/13.04. And a couple 64-bit Ubuntu-based distros. Other than that, nothing boots. Not Fedora, not OpenSUSE, not SolusOS, not Fuduntu, not PCLinuxOS, not Manjaro, not Gparted...

UN FREAKIN' REAL.

Try passing the 'nogpt' parameter to the bootloader when installing 64bit Fuduntu. When the initial bootscreen appears, press tab and then hit space (if needed) and add nogpt.
    [ Fuduntu.org ] - [ Fuduntu Forum ] - [ Fuduntu Blog ] - [ Fuduntu Wiki ]

For a classic desktop with the latest apps, get Fuduntu!

Beans

"In all seriousness, I have the Windows 8 recovery DVDs I made with the HP recovery software."

Hi,
    I'm new to Ubuntu and fairly new to computers. I also have windows 8 preloaded on my PC and would like to keep it while trying Ubuntu. Where did you get that HP recovery software? Are they bootable recovery DVDs?
    Thanks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12