Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Extracting/Unpacking a File in Ubuntu 8.04

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Beans
    4

    Extracting/Unpacking a File in Ubuntu 8.04

    What are the steps to follow in extracting/unpacking files in Ubuntu 8.04?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Finland/UK
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

    Re: Extracting/Unpacking a File in Ubuntu 8.04

    Right-click the file and select "Extract Here". Assuming you are talking about some kind of compressed archive file (.zip, .tar.gz, .rar etc).

    If that doesn't help, you might want to expand your question a bit to better describe what you are trying to do.

    ...and also I have to ask, is there a specific reason why you are using such old and outdated release as 8.04? It's not supported for anything else than servers any more, and even that support will end in a few months...

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Beans
    4

    Re: Extracting/Unpacking a File in Ubuntu 8.04

    Quote Originally Posted by mcduck View Post
    Right-click the file and select "Extract Here". Assuming you are talking about some kind of compressed archive file (.zip, .tar.gz, .rar etc).

    If that doesn't help, you might want to expand your question a bit to better describe what you are trying to do.

    ...and also I have to ask, is there a specific reason why you are using such old and outdated release as 8.04? It's not supported for anything else than servers any more, and even that support will end in a few months...
    Yes, that will probably help; I will have to try that out. Thank you. I am just trying to re-install Flash Player 9 again after having removed it from the repository. Extracting a file is just usually the next step after downloading an update, for example.

    Don't get me wrong, but I just love my computer with Linux ! The reason why I'm using release 8.04 is because it came with my netbook, which has been a trusted friend for so, so long, but will soon be my secondary computer. I need something with more memory and a larger hard drive, hence my getting a new one with a different OS.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Lincolnshire, UK
    Beans
    1,461
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Re: Extracting/Unpacking a File in Ubuntu 8.04

    Quote Originally Posted by sprimod View Post
    ...Extracting a file is just usually the next step after downloading an update, for example...
    Err... not with Linux systems!

    Generally, updates come from the appropriate repository and are downloaded and installed automatically - manual "downloading" or "extracting" is not required.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Beans
    4

    Unhappy Re: Extracting/Unpacking a File in Ubuntu 8.04

    Quote Originally Posted by Zill View Post
    Err... not with Linux systems!

    Generally, updates come from the appropriate repository and are downloaded and installed automatically - manual "downloading" or "extracting" is not required.
    That was something I was unaware of, because whenever I download something to my particular system, it doesn't automatically work, as in another OS of which I will not mention here...! Nonetheless, I still adore my Linux system.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •