Thread: Nautilus vs Unity

Beans

Nautilus vs Unity

Hello,

I have a basic question regarding nautilus and unity. I just discovered nautilus after a quest to manipulate a file, and found that when using nautilus I can view/change files at will whereas with unity I can't even edit some files (there isn't even an option to edit as superuser). What is the difference, and why can't I make some changes in unity, see the changes I made? The file I wanted to change is changed, and shows changes in nautilus/gedit/nano, but not in Unity, but the file is changed! Why don't these changes show in Unity 2d?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Nautilus vs Unity

Nautilus is the default file manager in Unity, and Unity is well, it's a desktop environment.

When you say you don't see the changes in Unity are you talking about in the dash home when you search for files? The dash might take a little bit to show changes as it has to index the files and refresh.
    "You can't expect to hold supreme executive power just because some watery tart lobbed a sword at you"

"Don't let your mind wander -- it's too little to be let out alone."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

File search from Unity Dash is a means to open the file location and browser. What is available from dash and how long depends your settings in the privacy application. The privacy application in 12.10 is different from 12.04 but both have recent history settings.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans

Yes I'm looking in the dash home folder location in unity. As per Frogs Hair's comment, I deleted the history in the privacy application, and I guess I can just wait for unity to catch up? Or can I force it to index all the files again? Thanks, that answers my question.