Thread: Lana Del Rey - lyrics meaning

Beans

Lana Del Rey - lyrics meaning

hey guys
    does anybody know what is the meaning of this verse line in Lana's song Bel Air: "Idol of roses, iconic soul. I know your name what means?" bbye

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: Lana Del Rey - lyrics meaning

I'm pretty sure that your post shouldn't belong to this subforum, but certainly one of the mods or the admins will correct it.

As to your question I remember to read (I think in Pitchfork, but I'm not completely sure, now), by the time the record went to sale, that that song appears to be about Del Rey's brief romance with Axl Rose.

"Bel-Air" in the title and repeated throughout the refrain has a dual meaning. First, it is a location in Los Angeles, a city in which Axl Rose lives. Additionally, he is known for driving a restored Chevy Bel-Air automobile. So, when she says "Roses, Bel Air, take me there." She's talking both about going to Bel Air to meet her lover with flowers, and also about Axl Rose sporting her around in his sports car.

In the second verse, the lyric "sweet child of mine" directly alludes to the hit single by Guns N' Roses of the same name. Further, in the third verse, Del Rey sings "Idol of roses, iconic soul. I know your name" again refers to Axl Rose, indirectly describing him as a music icon known for "Roses" (or Guns N' Roses, as it were). Over all, the song has a mourning atmosphere; the romance between Rose and Del Rey was very secretive, and it appears that the "wall built by brilliant direction" implies that he wanted to keep the relationship out of the spotlight, she did not, and it eventually led to their break up.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Not a support request.

Thread moved to The Community Cafe.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by slickymaster View Post
    I'm pretty sure that your post shouldn't belong to this subforum, but certainly one of the mods or the admins will correct it.

As to your question I remember to read (I think in Pitchfork, but I'm not completely sure, now), by the time the record went to sale, that that song appears to be about Del Rey's brief romance with Axl Rose.

"Bel-Air" in the title and repeated throughout the refrain has a dual meaning. First, it is a location in Los Angeles, a city in which Axl Rose lives. Additionally, he is known for driving a restored Chevy Bel-Air automobile. So, when she says "Roses, Bel Air, take me there." She's talking both about going to Bel Air to meet her lover with flowers, and also about Axl Rose sporting her around in his sports car.

In the second verse, the lyric "sweet child of mine" directly alludes to the hit single by Guns N' Roses of the same name. Further, in the third verse, Del Rey sings "Idol of roses, iconic soul. I know your name" again refers to Axl Rose, indirectly describing him as a music icon known for "Roses" (or Guns N' Roses, as it were). Over all, the song has a mourning atmosphere; the romance between Rose and Del Rey was very secretive, and it appears that the "wall built by brilliant direction" implies that he wanted to keep the relationship out of the spotlight, she did not, and it eventually led to their break up.
    thanks man, found the same, however thanks

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
    Not a support request.

Thread moved to The Community Cafe.
    okii )