Thread: Question for people using M Audio Delta 66 OMNI

Beans

Question for people using M Audio Delta 66 OMNI

Hello people.

Just wondering if somebody who uses the DELTA OMNI could clarify how their routing for output is set up. I have been using (for quite a while) a basic set up where Output goes out to PCM OUT 1 (left) and PCM OUT 2 (right). This worked fine giving my stereo output from the Headphones. But over the last couple of months I've been getting intermittent distortion in the Left channel (PCM OUT 1). Spent a couple of hours fiddling and eventually found that if I use MUDITA24 Control I can re-route the outputs to DIGITAL MIXER L and R. This gets rid of the distortion (so far at least).

I suspect I have a soon to be deceased component either on the PCI card or in the OMNI box but wondered if I was just being a dunce and the distortion was an inevitable consequence of how I had it set up.

Can anyone who uses the box give me an idea of how they set theirs up?

Cheers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Question for people using M Audio Delta 66 OMNI

I use a similar setup. You probably have a bad solder joint or a worn-out capacitor. That's an old card, so it's time for a cleaning and repair. Break out the soldering iron, 800F micro tip, and touch up all of the connection points. Look for bulging or leaky capacitors.

The digital mixer just bypasses the analog output stage, which is probably where your problem is. It could be something as simple as resoldering the headphone jacks--they loosen up over time.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tgalati4 View Post
    I use a similar setup. You probably have a bad solder joint or a worn-out capacitor. That's an old card, so it's time for a cleaning and repair. Break out the soldering iron, 800F micro tip, and touch up all of the connection points. Look for bulging or leaky capacitors.

The digital mixer just bypasses the analog output stage, which is probably where your problem is. It could be something as simple as resoldering the headphone jacks--they loosen up over time.
    Thanks for the advice. I will have a little look at things when I get the opportunity. I'm a little hesitant to start attacking it with a soldering iron. I can solder simple things fine but it's a looooong time since I attacked a moderately complex PCB with a soldering iron. Have a nasty feeling I may turn a partially broken card into a fully broken card

Thanks for the advice.

Cheers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Take it to someone with a workbench, variable temperature control soldering iron with multiple tips. If they have that, then they probably know how to use it and touching up the solder is straight forward. Avoid using a Radio Shack 25-watt iron. That will make a mess of it. Old electronics need a tune up just like old cars. You will be impressed at the difference it makes in sound quality.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.