Thread: Searching for Plugins or DVD

Hybrid View

Beans

Searching for Plugins or DVD

Hello, I'm new and this is my first post. I using 12.04. When I put in a dvd movie and select movie player a box comes up saying "Srching for missing pugins,"and then a box comes up "required plugin could not be found. Phyton (v2.7) requires to install plugins to play media files of the following type: DVD subpicture decoder" I'm lost how do I correct this? Thank you
    Last edited by prodriver; January 14th, 2013 at 04:14 PM. Reason: speell correction

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Searching for Plugins or DVD

Quote Originally Posted by prodriver View Post
    Hello, I'm new and this is my first post. I using 12.04. When I put in a dvd movie and select movie player a box comes up saying "Srching for missing pugins,"and then a box comes up "required plugin could not be found. Phyton (v2.7) requires to install plugins to play media files of the following type: DVD subpicture decoder" I'm lost how do I correct this? Thank you
    I am not familiar with Phyton, but VLC seems to play just about everything.
    Thank you,
    GG -----------

Beans

First, I encourage you to use a search engine and browse the Ubuntu knowledge base. Searching for "play dvd ubuntu" brings up the standard help document: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Re...ts/PlayingDVDs.

Start by installing ubuntu-restricted-extras by opening a terminal and typing the command:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras
    Then read the section in the documentation above on installing libdvdcss.

BTW, my preferred video player is SMPlayer. You can install it with the command:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install smplayer
    Last edited by SeijiSensei; January 14th, 2013 at 09:01 PM.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

Thank you the code for restricted extras did the trick. I did the smplayer also. Thanks again.