Thread: How to set up dual monitor configuration?

Beans

How to set up dual monitor configuration?

Hi guys, I'm a bit confused about how dual monitor management works in kde.
    My hardware is: asus 1215b netbook, ATI radeon HD 6310 graphic card, native monitor resolution:1366x768 + external monitor 23" lg IPS234V 1920x1080

There are 3 utilities on my netbook that can influence monitor's configuration: amdcccle (fglrx), krandr and jupiter (alternative power manager).

My issue comes when I boot the system without connecting the external monitor: the grub screen is ok, but the splash screen is still set on 1920x1080. The system seems to fail in recognizing the netbook's monitor's native resolution. Result: I can't see login options... (Anyway I can still log in, but I must do it... "blindly"!)

Any idea on how to solve this?

Actually I would like to the computer to automatically detect which resolution to apply just from the beginning, like windows 7 does. My instinct says that I should tell the graphic card to load the configuration file before the splash screen, but I absolutely don't know how to achieve this (I don't even know how this configuration file is called, nor where it's stored...).

Finally I'm not so sure that the three utilities I listed above can actually "live" together in the same enviroment. Do they interfere with each other?

Can somebody help me? Thanks!

Beans

Re: How to set up dual monitor configuration?

When I have problems with my graphics drivers I have to go Ctrl+Alt+F1...F6 that is press Ctrl+.. etc. and F1 for example and you will be taken to the command line logon screen. Login and use:

1. ls or pwd to where your driver software is.

2. I'd say you'll need to get the propeitary driver download the latest here:
    http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx

3. Download the driver and extract with:
    unzip file.zip -d destination_folder

or if your in the folder already just
    unzip amd-driver[Tab].zip

Use the Tab key to use auto-complete.

4. To get into the root account:
    sudo -i

5. sh {amd-driver...}.sh

That should bring you up to speed.

I'd advize that you download the installation package first to a USB stick and have gcc installed before you get the driver:

sudo apt-get install build-essential

You should be fine after that just sounds like your hardware isn't supported yet with the open source driver.

Any more questions, don't hesitate to ask.

P.S. After installation reboot the computer with that command. And to get out of the CLI terminal use Ctrl+Alt+F7 and that should get you back to the desktop.
    Last edited by Hugh Mulqueen; January 15th, 2013 at 02:10 PM.
    bertie