Thread: Would it be worth my time to replace the internal sd card reader?

Hybrid View

Beans

Would it be worth my time to replace the internal sd card reader?

I have an internal card reader on my netbook that sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. I also have a usb sd card reader. Would the speed difference be significant enough to make a real difference if i fixed it?
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Would it be worth my time to replace the internal sd card reader?

IMO it would be more convenient, doubt the speed will be affected much... and it is also very much dependent on the speed of the specific SD Card as I understand it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I would be surprised if they weren't connected to the same bus, with the integrated reader merely being a USB device.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

I could be wrong, but I believe that most internal card readers are connected through internal USB. So you're not going to get any speed difference. From what I've seen, the only way you're going to get a speed increase is by buying a USB 3.0 card reader if you have a 3.0 slot.

Edit: Grenage ninja'd me about the internal USB thing.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by not found View Post
    IMO it would be more convenient, doubt the speed will be affected much... and it is also very much dependent on the speed of the specific SD Card as I understand it.

yeah i tested a class 6 sd card on both and speed was slightly slower on the usb but not by much. That being said i also tested a class 4 micro via usb and the speed came out higher than the class 6. Can't get the micro sd to work in the internal card reader with an adaptor either so can't test that.
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.