Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: New Install - Very slow at "Reading package lists..." in apt-get

Beans

Re: New Install - Very slow at "Reading package lists..." in apt-get

Thanks for the updat.e

I have the same problem and a similar setup (root mounted on SSD, /home and /var mounted on HDD, and /tmp mounted on RAM). I do have /tmp mounted as tmpfs, and it isn't commented, and I can confirm when running "mount" that /tmp is indeed mounted as tmpfs, and not on the SSD.

However, every now and then (but not always), "Reading package lists" will take several minutes. I notice the same kind of behaviour also sometimes when saving the machine state of my VirtualBox Windows machine. Sometimes it takes well over 5 minutes. However, restoring it always goes within a few seconds.

Any other idea? (Or maybe I should start a new thread for this.)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I got this problem too. Dont have any SSD though, but I'm on a quad core pentium with 8gb of ram. Whatever I do it takes ages. Like an hour to install mysql from the command line. Did apt-get upgrade like 15 minutes ago and its still there reading packages and unpacking. In my signature you can see my latest speed test

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

It is a bit strange your upload speed is faster than download. But your download speed is faster than mine and my downloads are pretty quick.

Are you connecting to a local mirror? The choose best server is based on ping, not downloads, so sometimes you have to experiment.
    On update manager, lower left corner settings button, Ubuntu Software tab, download from combo box, choose other, then select best server.

You can also use top to see if some task is consumming system resources. I keep a tiny processor system monitor in my top panel. (I use gnome-fallback or gnome-panel, so I can add that to top panel.) Or just look at System Monitor to see what does not look correct.
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I dont know what happend. Installing over again, but have run into another problem with the boot loader at the last step of the installation now. My thread is here http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12598955

Beans

I have the exact same problem, only it's not only apt. Chrome is "waiting for cache" a lot, other simple operations take forever, and iotop reports very high I/O usage - around 99,5%. Has anyone found anything out ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

I installed 12.04.4 32-bit and, at first, [sudo apt-get update] went pretty fast everytime. I installed a few items I knew I needed for my particular situation, (PAM modules, etc), and "Reading package lists..." was quick as expected.
    after doing [sudo apt-get upgrade], that is when [sudo apt-get update] started taking about 1 hour for "Reading package lists...".

Now root (/) and boot (/boot) are on my SSD (sdb). My HDD, (sda), has /home, /tmp, /var/tmp, /var/log & /var/spool to reduce writes to the SSD.

So the problem does not exist on first boot/install but does exist after first upgrade.

System is an HP Z820 dual Xeon. Also seen on HP Z220, ASUS Sabertooth and HP Compaq Elite 8300. Seen on HDDs and SSDs. Seen with AMD and nVidia GPUs. Seen before my PAM module installs and after my PAM module installs (that is why I now do my app installs first and my upgrades after). Seen on Core i7s and on Xeons.

Yes, I did say about 1 hour! Just for "Reading package lists...".

Downloads of all packages happen in matter of seconds! It is not Internet speed which is http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3156565400

UPDATE: For the record, as it was mentioned in another thread, when all of /var was mounted on the SSD, I still had the same issues. Also, SSD is an HP branded Micron RealSSD(tm) C400 128GB SATA 6Gb/s.
    For clarity, issue still exists without SSD installed and system loaded on HDD only. It is not an SSD issue.

cached reads: 7,000+ MB/s, buffered disk reads: 180+ MB/s
    Last edited by Logics; December 10th, 2013 at 05:25 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Years ago when Ubuntu needed 256MB to install I installed to a old laptop with only 128. I think it only worked because I already had swap, but since it was using swap so much it took about 6 hours to install and 8+ (all night) to download and install updates. Systems worked but was so slow as to not be usable. Lighter weight install then did work. So too little RAM can cause those kind of issues. Is RAM shown correctly?

Also using 32 bit operating system on 64 bit hardware does slow system down, but not that much.
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Most of my systems have 32 GiB RAM and swap. Some have only 16 GiB each. Ubuntu does show the correct RAM amount.

I do understand a little slow down with 32-bit OS on 64-bit HW but my single 2.4GHz PhenomII six-core with 8GiB RAM and swap Mint 14 64-bit installed on a platter, out performs the dual 3.6GHz Xeon quad (eight real cores total, 16 if you actually count hyperthreading) core with 32GiB RAM and swap Precise 32-bit installed on an SSD. This "out-perform" only really comes regarding "sudo apt-get update", boot time and shutdown time. (plus a few other tasks).

Outside of that, the system is really fast.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

If you installed 32 bit Ubuntu on a 32GB RAM system, you are not using RAM well. While PAE does allow over the 3GB limit of 32 bit installs, it does not use it all at once. It has to swap each app in and out.

Ubuntu 32-bit, 32-bit PAE, 64-bit Kernel Benchmarks Dec 2009
    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...u_32_pae&num=1
    Linus does not like PAE or 32 bit.
    http://cl4ssic4l.wordpress.com/2011/...lds-about-pae/

Ubuntu 12.10: 32-bit vs. 64-bit Linux Performance
    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...210_3264&num=1

Do not know about downloads, but for booting you can look at dmesg and see if there are long delays posted, error messages or just drivers that keep trying and then either fail or succeed.
    The 12.04 has a log file viewer.
    Or
    gksudo gedit /var/log/dmesg

There are many other log files that may give clues to other issues.

Beans

Looks like a lot of people (including me) are having this problem.
    System: asus essentio cm1730
    amd x6, 16Gb ram, 2 1Tb HDD set as a volume group.
    Last internet speed test - 70Mbps. Running new install of 13.10
    Install only took a little less than an hour. Downloaded all updates during install. Trying to get 32 bit libs for playonlinux has taken days (still not finding what I need.) Have had to add repos and run atp-get update a lot. So, I am burning through my copied episodes or Star Trek and Stargate waiting. Not sure what other info I should add here. Trying to dump windows and go totally linux. I do like to play diablo 3, Civ4, and SC2, which is the only reason I kept win7 for so long

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast