Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: updated ubutu and now :(

Beans

updated ubutu and now :(

I updated ubuntu and know it will not start up, it run but all i see is the CMOS telling me what usbs i have plugged in my computer, how do i fix this?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: updated ubutu and now :(

It sounds like maybe the computer is trying to boot from usb instead of the HD. Try unpluging usb devices and see if that helps

Beans

it did not work
    Last edited by 101kitty; January 14th, 2013 at 01:28 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

You could try to forcing the computer to HD. On boot you will seen an option for "Boot Options" usually and F key or Del it will then ask where you want to boot from just arrow down key to the Hard Drive and hit enter.

If that doesnt work you many want to put the Ubuntu live disk back in and make sure you can see your hard drive. If you are able to see your drive I would make sure to backup your important files to a flash drive just encase you need to do a fresh install to the new version.

Beans

i installed ubuntu from windows becasue i didnt have a cd nor a usb drive.
    what now?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Ok I dont have any personal experience with Wubi but have heard of some issues with Wubi installs but I will need some more information

Is Ubuntu showing in the boot menu?
    Are you still able to boot into Windows?
    Did you happen to reinstall Grub2? (this can cause major issues)

Beans

Yes to all

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Cannot boot into Ubuntu

Never try to correct Wubi boot problems by reinstalling Grub2. This will prevent Windows from booting and will not fix the Wubi install.

Ubuntu cannot be booted if Windows has not been shut down cleanly. If Wubi fails to start:

boot into Windows, run chkdsk /r from Windows on the same drive where you installed Ubuntu, shutdown cleanly and then try to boot into Ubuntu again.
    if still not good, check that you have a C:\ubuntu\disks\root.disk file. If this file is missing, boot on Windows, open the Windows Explorer, set it to be able to see hidden folders, then look for a hidden folder called C:\found.000 or dir0000.chk . Move the files from found.000 to their original location inside the \ubuntu\disks directory. You may have to rename it into root.disk.
    Here is some info from WubiGuide off the Ubuntu Wiki

Beans

i need to run to the store but i will try this, check this post in about 45 mins, thank you.

Beans

i was able to find root.disk file, right know i'm running the chkdsk, hopfully it works.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast