Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is it possible to link two Mythbuntu boxes in different locations together?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Is it possible to link two Mythbuntu boxes in different locations together?

I actually just published a blog post on exactly this topic.
    http://supermario-world.blogspot.com...v-backend.html

I have two homes and only pay for cable in one of them. I transfer the content from one mythtv backend to the other and insert the recordings into the database.

All the scripts I use to do it are on the blog post.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by superm1 View Post
    I actually just published a blog post on exactly this topic.
    http://supermario-world.blogspot.com...v-backend.html

I have two homes and only pay for cable in one of them. I transfer the content from one mythtv backend to the other and insert the recordings into the database.

All the scripts I use to do it are on the blog post.
    isn't that a really long way around the solution? there would be no need for importing videos or sql database entries at all if you just connected the two homes with a vpn correct? Am I wrong here just let me know.
    Check out my Blog about my life and computer software and hardware. http://ubuntuaddicted.blogspot.com/
    My YouTube channel:
    http://www.youtube.com/ubuntuaddicted

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy79 View Post
    isn't that a really long way around the solution? there would be no need for importing videos or sql database entries at all if you just connected the two homes with a vpn correct? Am I wrong here just let me know.
    In an ideal world with good enough bandwidth you're right. But the upload on both of my connections won't be enough to handle streaming a recording over the web.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy79 View Post
    I will just point out that setting up a VPN is not the easiest thing in the world to do, unless you are already very experienced with them. I have only tried to set up one in my life and it took me a solid month to get everything working the way I needed it to and I can honestly say it was the most difficult thing I have ever tried to do with a computer. That was using OpenVPN, by the way. Maybe things are easier now but if so I'd be surprised. And once I got it working it still never really worked entirely as if both ends were on the same network - for example you could not see networks shares on the opposite end of the tunnel, though you could connect to them if you knew the local IP address. I was so frustrated by that whole experience that I said I'd never do anything like that again!

Please remember that there are many of us who use Mythbuntu or Ubuntu that have primarily used Windows and have never really got into the truly "geeky" stuff in Linux, and about the only thing we really know about networking is how to hook up a consumer-grade router. In fact one of my complaints about MythTV is that the backend offers far too many options, most of which should be hidden behind an advanced settings tab because the average user is probably going to leave at least 90% of them on the defaults.

In my situation I'd be much more likely to use SSH to transfer files, or even to set up a tunnel to the web page server on the distant side. For limited connectivity SSH is probably much easier to set up and configure than a VPN. At least it would be for me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

This quote really hit home:
    Please remember that there are many of us who use Mythbuntu or Ubuntu that have primarily used Windows and have never really got into the truly "geeky" stuff in Linux, and about the only thing we really know about networking is how to hook up a consumer-grade router. In fact one of my complaints about MythTV is that the backend offers far too many options, most of which should be hidden behind an advanced settings tab because the average user is probably going to leave at least 90% of them on the defaults.
    I agree. I am considered a defacto computer expert across my circle of friends (ok, my mother), yet I am not confident that my Myth box will continue to run through the year. ...about 25% of the time the update process breaks something... and last week, a number of scheduled jobs have errored out "program not available" -- I checked the logs but see no clear problem... It's frustrating.

In my situation I'd be much more likely to use SSH to transfer files, or even to set up a tunnel to the web page server on the distant side. For limited connectivity SSH is probably much easier to set up and configure than a VPN. At least it would be for me.
    This (comment) is something I'd like to do -- Currently I can connect my Windows 7 box within my LAN, but would like to connect from internet to my box to check up on upcoming recordings, etc.
    ----------
    HTPC build (100% Linux): Ubuntu 12.04, MythTV 0.25+
    Mobo: Asus M3N78-VM, Video: Geforce 430, TV: HVR-1600, HVR-2250, HD: 3TB system

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Ubu_Fester View Post
    This quote really hit home:
    I agree. I am considered a defacto computer expert across my circle of friends (ok, my mother), yet I am not confident that my Myth box will continue to run through the year. ...about 25% of the time the update process breaks something... and last week, a number of scheduled jobs have errored out "program not available" -- I checked the logs but see no clear problem... It's frustrating.

This (comment) is something I'd like to do -- Currently I can connect my Windows 7 box within my LAN, but would like to connect from internet to my box to check up on upcoming recordings, etc.
    if you just want to check on upcoming recordings you could install mythweb and ensure the proper port is forwarded in your router. or maybe look into mythtv-status, it can be run from a command line via ssh into the server.

No one said these solutions were easy to implement. there is such a great community of users, a ton of guides written, IRC channels, and of course this forum to assist when we can. If you don't feel it's worth your effort to get the awesomeness of mythtv and you just want an easy solution, then maybe like the masses and just pay for it from your cable provider.

I don't mean to sound so harsh but it's a reality. The developers do the best they can to make it as easy as possible, heck mythbuntu didn't even exist originally, you had to figure out how to install mythtv yourself on top of whatever linux distro you ran.
    Check out my Blog about my life and computer software and hardware. http://ubuntuaddicted.blogspot.com/
    My YouTube channel:

Beans
    Distro

I've had the box running for 3 years now. I'm committed.

...But I've spent more time (than I thought I would) troubleshooting want appears to be "random" issues....
    ----------

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Ubu_Fester View Post
    I've had the box running for 3 years now. I'm committed.

...But I've spent more time (than I thought I would) troubleshooting want appears to be "random" issues....
    Yeah, I hate those times and in fact I am in just that situation right now. I can't access mythweb and for some reason my mythbackend keep being terminated by code 251 and it retarts only to be terminated again.

SO I have some serious digging to do and yes it pisses me off for sure as I don't even recall doing any updates and it's even more of a pain because it's a headless server so all my work is done thru ssh BUT it just allows me to learn the more inner workings of everything.

It sucks BUT then again, it's FREE software.
    My YouTube channel:

Beans
    Distro

Yes, Exactly!
    ----------

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12