Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 25

Thread: Malware currently attacking windows/linux

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Beans
    3,138
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Malware currently attacking windows/linux

    The link in my signature will provide a good safe version 7.11 for firefox which was just released yesterday afternoon.

    If you don't mind typing commands or copying and pasting into a terminal.
    I don't program so I don't use the JDK nor do I have it installed.

    The instructions for installing in the Manually update java link have not even been updated from 10 to 11 so you'll have to remember to change that when copying and pasting.

    Code:
    cavsfan@cavsfan-MS-7529:~$ java -version
    java version "1.7.0_11"
    Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_11-b21)
    Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 23.6-b04, mixed mode)
    Check Java Version | Install Java via WEB UPD8 PPA
    Creating a Custom Maintenance Free GRUB2 Screen Community Wiki
    Ubuntu 12.04 | 14.04 | 14.10 | Mint 13 | Mint 17 | Windows 7 | All 64 bit

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Beans
    10,410

    Re: Malware currently attacking windows/linux

    Quote Originally Posted by Cavsfan View Post
    The link in my signature will provide a good safe version 7.11 for firefox which was just released yesterday afternoon.

    If you don't mind typing commands or copying and pasting into a terminal.
    I don't program so I don't use the JDK nor do I have it installed.

    The instructions for installing in the Manually update java link have not even been updated from 10 to 11 so you'll have to remember to change that when copying and pasting.

    Code:
    cavsfan@cavsfan-MS-7529:~$ java -version
    java version "1.7.0_11"
    Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_11-b21)
    Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 23.6-b04, mixed mode)
    Or just wait for Canonical to release an update to the Ubuntu repos

    My personal opinion is that those of us who don't really know how to handle this are more likely to cause problems than prevent problems by applying unofficial updates and such

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Beta Testing in Canada
    Beans
    5,434
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Malware currently attacking windows/linux

    Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    I'm far from being a security guru but I was curious so I ran "java -version":

    Code:
    lance@lance-desktop:~$ java -version
    The program 'java' can be found in the following packages:
     * default-jre
     * gcj-4.6-jre-headless
     * openjdk-6-jre-headless
     * gcj-4.5-jre-headless
     * openjdk-7-jre-headless
    Try: sudo apt-get install <selected package>
    NO! I don't want to install it, just checking thanks

    Then I saw this at WebUpd8 this AM:

    http://www.webupd8.org/2013/01/oracl...7u11.html#more

    But I'd bet that Canonical will have updates available pronto for those who do have it installed
    @kansasnoob

    Thanks a million for that link. No , I am not going to install it either. I was just making a point ... errr... asking a question (that I thought should be asked) as to how secure are our installs during the development cycle? .. ya know ... as we are going along can someone easily take remote access of our systems .. etc... So far I cannot validate one case in the past 3 years across several different machines .. but I still think it is a good question to ask.

    regards,

    ventrical
    This is Rolling Release
    Warnings for New Beta Testers& Helpful Terminal Commands:
    Running Trusty /devel/@ 5.120GHz32bit/ Please put [ prefix] on New Threads!

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Beans
    3,138
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Malware currently attacking windows/linux

    Quote Originally Posted by Cavsfan View Post
    The link in my signature will provide a good safe version 7.11 for firefox which was just released yesterday afternoon.

    If you don't mind typing commands or copying and pasting into a terminal.
    I don't program so I don't use the JDK nor do I have it installed.

    The instructions for installing in the Manually update java link have not even been updated from 10 to 11 so you'll have to remember to change that when copying and pasting.

    Code:
    cavsfan@cavsfan-MS-7529:~$ java -version
    java version "1.7.0_11"
    Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_11-b21)
    Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 23.6-b04, mixed mode)
    Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    Or just wait for Canonical to release an update to the Ubuntu repos

    My personal opinion is that those of us who don't really know how to handle this are more likely to cause problems than prevent problems by applying unofficial updates and such
    To each his own. I guess. I am constantly on the lookout for updates and I caught this apparently shortly after Oracle released it.
    Also I installed this on 4 ubuntus fairly quickly. Plus, this is an instant fix instead of waiting on a repository to update.
    Check Java Version | Install Java via WEB UPD8 PPA
    Creating a Custom Maintenance Free GRUB2 Screen Community Wiki
    Ubuntu 12.04 | 14.04 | 14.10 | Mint 13 | Mint 17 | Windows 7 | All 64 bit

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Williams Lake
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Malware currently attacking windows/linux

    Keep in mind that due to licensing issues, Ubuntu no longer includes java in the repositories.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Beans
    3,138
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Malware currently attacking windows/linux

    Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    Keep in mind that due to licensing issues, Ubuntu no longer includes java in the repositories.
    Thank you!
    All the more reason to manually update now...
    Check Java Version | Install Java via WEB UPD8 PPA
    Creating a Custom Maintenance Free GRUB2 Screen Community Wiki
    Ubuntu 12.04 | 14.04 | 14.10 | Mint 13 | Mint 17 | Windows 7 | All 64 bit

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Beans
    10,410

    Re: Malware currently attacking windows/linux

    Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    Keep in mind that due to licensing issues, Ubuntu no longer includes java in the repositories.
    I didn't realize that but my concern ATM is that people will end up installing something that's not really needed, therefore creating a potential problem where none existed. Does that make sense?

  8. #18
    dino99's Avatar
    dino99 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Nux Jam
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Malware currently attacking windows/linux

    im using openjdk and it works well enough for my needs.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Beans
    3,138
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Malware currently attacking windows/linux

    Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    I didn't realize that but my concern ATM is that people will end up installing something that's not really needed, therefore creating a potential problem where none existed. Does that make sense?
    Java is not needed? That's news to me.
    I use NoScript and every site I go to that I have not authorized to allow java scripting says it is required.
    Check Java Version | Install Java via WEB UPD8 PPA
    Creating a Custom Maintenance Free GRUB2 Screen Community Wiki
    Ubuntu 12.04 | 14.04 | 14.10 | Mint 13 | Mint 17 | Windows 7 | All 64 bit

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Beans
    161
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

    Re: Malware currently attacking windows/linux

    Quote Originally Posted by Cavsfan View Post
    Java is not needed? That's news to me.
    I use NoScript and every site I go to that I have not authorized to allow java scripting says it is required.
    Java and Javascript are not the same thing.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •