Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Have You Noticed?

Beans

Re: Have You Noticed?

Quote Originally Posted by kuvanito View Post
    today's daily build has a clean boot for me,no more 0s or hex file as i call it
    also my system boots from press ON to a full desktop in 38:53 seconds.that's amazing for me
    my machine is average nowadays.
    ubu rocks my world
    Why, when you have 8GB RAM, are you still using 32bit OS?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Is installing from a new iso something that we need to be doing often? I have been keeping up with the updates and reporting bugs when they occur.

I got it pretty much like I like it and became complacent. But, I can pull down a new iso if that is what I should do.

Just wondering.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

today's daily build has a clean boot for me,no more 0s or hex file as i call it
    also my system boots from press ON to a full desktop in 38:53 seconds.that's amazing for me
    my machine is average nowadays.
    ubu rocks my world
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan F View Post
    Why, when you have 8GB RAM, are you still using 32bit OS?
    I also have a core 2 quad Q9550 2.83Ghz with 4 GB memory and this system has never had a 32 bit OS on it ever.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Cavsfan View Post
    Is installing from a new iso something that we need to be doing often? I have been keeping up with the updates and reporting bugs when they occur.

I got it pretty much like I like it and became complacent. But, I can pull down a new iso if that is what I should do.

Just wondering.
    So, I'll take that as a no?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Cavsfan View Post
    I also have a core 2 quad Q9550 2.83Ghz with 4 GB memory and this system has never had a 32 bit OS on it ever.
    I know that 32bit OS will now handle more than 3GB RAM but at a slower rate than a 64bit OS. For 4GB+ the recommendation is for 64bit OS

The difference may be negligible with 4GB RAM installed but would the difference be more significant with 8GB RAM installed?

That was the reason for the question.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Alan F View Post
    I know that 32bit OS will now handle more than 3GB RAM but at a slower rate than a 64bit OS. For 4GB+ the recommendation is for 64bit OS

The difference may be negligible with 4GB RAM installed but would the difference be more significant with 8GB RAM installed?

That was the reason for the question.
    I haven't experienced the difference nor do not intend to on this machine.
    But, common sense would dictate that 64 bit would have to be faster than 32 bit.
    In the same sense that headers provide more horse power to a car engine than a single pipe/muffler.
    It has Windows 7 64 bit. Then I proceeded to install Ubuntu 64 bit (4 of them presently).

Although it is about 3 1/2 years old, this machine scores fairly high on the windows experience index. FWIW
    The slow denominator being the hard drive. But, if I had SSD it would be in the 7s with the max. being 7.9.

However, in Ubuntu with 4GB ram, swap is pretty much unnecessary. I have a 1GB swap file "just because".

I believe that if you have a 64 bit machine with 4GB or more why load a 32 bit OS?

See this thread.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

to Cavsfan and Alan F
    I have never ever installed a 64 Bit OS because of my ignorance
    I remember when Windows 7 64 Bit came out I had so much trouble with my hardware finding drivers that it was not fun,half of my old hardware did not work so I had to go back to 32 Bits,since I gave up on 64 Bits but I will install Ubuntu 64 Bits soon to test the difference.I did not know that 64 Bits was faster than 32 Bits,I really though it was just the type of encryption the two systems differ from.

I am getting old
    Last edited by kuvanito; January 25th, 2013 at 03:35 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

@Cavsfan, a fresh install on occasion, can be a good thing. I just did one, as I was still running an upgraded from Quantal install. Quite a few things weren't working the way they should, and some of the newer features where there.

I've noticed for one that this install is much faster than the previous one, and now everything works as it should.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I also just did a fresh install, after about a year of some updates. I fell behind and it was more worthwhile to do a new install than update my system.

Also I hadn't done a complete new install and I was getting a tad rusty

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

to Cavsfan and Alan F
    I have never ever installed a 64 Bit OS because of my ignorance
    I remember when Windows 7 64 Bit came out I had so much trouble with my hardware finding drivers that it was not fun,half of my old hardware did not work so I had to go back to 32 Bits,since I gave up on 64 Bits but I will install Ubuntu 64 Bits soon to test the difference.I did not know that 64 Bits was faster than 32 Bits,I really though it was just the type of encryption the two systems differ from.

I am getting old
    If you can envision a 32 bit pipe and then one that is twice that size you would see the difference.
    Here is a link that is dated January 2013 that will explain it better than I could:
    Difference between 32 bit and 64 bit OS
    I'm probably older than you! But, I'm not going to say.
    My pc came with vista 64 bit and I upgraded to win 7 64 bit and like it really well; a lot better than vista.
    My son plays games on steam and uses directx 10 I believe. We tried running some of his games on Ubuntu and it just hung.

I don't think I got into the 64 bit OS right when it came out. I had an old dell xps something or other with a 17" monitor that I paid like $3,500 for that finally died.
    I got this setup for ~$1,000 with a 28" Hanns-G monitor and all! It also came with a middle of the road Nvidia Geforce 9800 GT which has amazed me at times.
    Never had a problem with hardware except my HP printer. They simply did not supply the software upgrade.
    Now days you will not have any trouble with a 64 bit OS.

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    @Cavsfan, a fresh install on occasion, can be a good thing. I just did one, as I was still running an upgraded from Quantal install. Quite a few things weren't working the way they should, and some of the newer features where there.

I've noticed for one that this install is much faster than the previous one, and now everything works as it should.
    Thanks for that! I noticed my install says "12.10" on the login screen. That confuses me from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by VMC View Post
    I also just did a fresh install, after about a year of some updates. I fell behind and it was more worthwhile to do a new install than update my system.

Also I hadn't done a complete new install and I was getting a tad rusty
    Thanks for the reply! I will get a new iso and install it. That ought to keep me busy for a while.
    The 1st two times I did a clean install of Raring I had to completely turn my USB drive off as it just hung until I did.
    Turning that thing off also saved about 10 seconds bios time but, I like to keep it powered up.
    I'll post back when I have a new install.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast