Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Have You Noticed?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Have You Noticed?

Quote Originally Posted by Quackers View Post
    sorry pressureman, I should have directed my question towards jerrylamos.
    My apologies.
    Quackers, I am sorry to stray off topic but, that avatar keeps me LOLing!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by pressureman View Post
    Excuse me? I just installed today's amd64 image to an old Thinkpad T500, without any problems whatsoever.
    My wide screen notebook has six partitions.

Raring amd64 will not install in partition 6, last one on the 80 GB disk.

The partitioner complains it cannot install to a partition "outside the disk". The partition exists. I'm not asking to change partition size or anything else.

Raring amd64 will install on the 1st partition of the disk.

Pangolin will install on both the 1st and the last, the 6th, no problem.

BTW, tried Raring i386 32 bit and same problem.

Boils down to a problem with the Raring partitioner, which is a "regression" since the Pangolin partitioner has no such problem.

What was on the 6th partition was an early version of Raring. I no longer have that .iso to try.

Note part way thru Raring there was a change in the partitioner. Acid test would be to try Raring install just before and just after the partitioner change. I don't have those .iso.

BTW, tried i386 Raring 32 bit, same problem.
    Last edited by jerrylamos; January 28th, 2013 at 01:57 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

The partition number should have anything to do with it, I've got raring install on /dev/sda9 on my netbook. and Debian wheezy on /dev/sda11, the last partiton is /dev/sda12 which is /home on the Debian install. I now have 6 different versions installed, all done last weekend with no partitioning problems.

I inherited a 320GiB HDD from my nephew when graphics adapter in his HP laptop let out the magic smoke , which I put in my netbook.
    Last edited by cariboo; January 28th, 2013 at 02:17 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    The partition number should have anything to do with it, I've got raring install on /dev/sda9 on my netbook. and Debian wheezy on /dev/sda11, the last partiton is /dev/sda12 which is /home on the Debian install. I now have 6 different versions installed, all done last weekend with no partitioning problems.

I inherited a 320GiB HDD from my nephew when graphics adapter in his HP laptop let out the magic smoke , which I put in my netbook.
    Cariboo907, I suspect it has to do with installing to the very last partition with no disk space after the last partition. Pangolin, no problem. I'd guess Raring ubiquity partitioner is trying to access after the partition for no logical reason - can't access anything past the end of the partition so it fails.

No interest in from the launchpad debuggers so I assume it will go down as a "Raring regression" along with a couple others I have like no auto connect to hidden wireless encrypted network. I'll check from time to time.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

@jerrylamos, are you using the automagic partitioning option, or doing it manually? My Debian partition ended up a little bigger than I want, so this weekend I intend on resizing it, and I'll try to add a Raring install to the last free space on the drive, and see what happens.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345