Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Recommended laptop for 12.04

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Recommended laptop for 12.04

Quote Originally Posted by samwillc View Post
    Hi, I meant a battery life of 5+ hours reduced to 2.5hrs once you're running ubuntu. Of course these figures are just examples.

Sam.
    Thanks for the clarification, your examples are probably not that far out. Just saw
    some more info re; battery life here.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2099876
    Last edited by offgridguy; January 13th, 2013 at 11:46 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

So I read about the torrid time people had with the samsung chronos series 7. It looks a total nightmare just to get a decent battery life. It's ok if you've got a lot of hours to spare messing around with your laptop, but not really if you've got work to do and need to get on with it.

Some of the lenovos look ok, so could a few people perhaps post which laptops they are actually using, and maybe their battery life, and how they achieved this?

It would really help me make a decision. Thanks.

Sam.

**edit** can I add, I don't need groundbreaking battery life, but getting 2 hours out of a new laptop is just plain rubbish. Would be happy with about 4 hours (on a laptop advertised as 6 hours for example). So running at approx. 67%.
    Last edited by samwillc; January 14th, 2013 at 08:33 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I don't have time to check out the links already provided, but, if you haven't seen this, it might be helpful in choosing a new laptop:

http://www.ubuntu.com/certification/desktop/

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeCrate View Post
    I don't have time to check out the links already provided, but, if you haven't seen this, it might be helpful in choosing a new laptop:

http://www.ubuntu.com/certification/desktop/
    Great, thanks

Sam.

Beans
    Distro

Has anyone tried ubuntu 12.04 with a lenovo ideapad?

I like the look of them and just about within price range. I notice none are listed as certified but I don't know how current that list is.

Thanks.

Sam.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

+1 " Lenovo ThinkPad X or T series. IMHO nothing compares to them in terms of Linux compatibility."

I'm on x301 and this is my 4th IBM/Lenovo that i've stripped of Windows and replaced Linux.

I've been thinking about replacing my x301 with the ThinkPad X1 Carbon. Just not ready to give up the freedom of removable internals and battery ha.

Beans

I recently bought a Thinkpad T430 and it gets at least as good battery life on Linux as Windows. 6-8 hours on the standard 57 Wh battery depending on what I'm doing.

I am using the Jupiter applet, which I've found makes a big difference, though it is going away (actually, it's not supported anymore and I'm sure it will be gone from the ppa soon). I'm also close to finishing my own code which basically duplicates the power savings functionality of Jupiter so that I can keep it up to date.

Beans
    Distro

Hi, thanks people.

I have one problem though, the lenovo T series is an old 80s looking relic.

Sit that next to a sleek macbook just to see how hideous it looks. The X1 carbon looks nice however. Shame I've only got about £600 to spend though!

Sam.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by samwillc View Post
    Hi, thanks people.

I have one problem though, the lenovo T series is an old 80s looking relic.

Sit that next to a sleek macbook just to see how hideous it looks. The X1 carbon looks nice however. Shame I've only got about £600 to spend though!

Sam.
    Hideous? No. It's like comparing an armored car to a Lexus. They're both beautiful for their own reasons. Plus every laptop vendor nowadays is trying to copy the Mac look.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by montag dp View Post
    Hideous? No. It's like comparing an armored car to a Lexus. They're both beautiful for their own reasons. Plus every laptop vendor nowadays is trying to copy the Mac look.
    Lol, I get your point but I want to use something easy on my eyes. Of course functionality is the most important thing, but to me, it just has to look nice too.

System76 laptops look very nice but they're in Canada, I'm in the UK. Would work out about £510.00 I reckon with the 20% VAT stuck on by customs, plus damned if I could send it back for a return!

Sam.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast