Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommended laptop for 12.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Recommended laptop for 12.04

Hi everyone.

I am going to buy a laptop but after reading a few stories about pretty poor power management in ubuntu 12.04, I am open to suggestions about which ones work well, specifically battery life. I don't do gaming, just programming/web design/small graphics editing.

After seeing ancient macbooks still fetching ridiculous prices on ebay, I am at a bit of a loss here about getting up and running with some half decent hardware, in laptop form.

I'm hoping to hear some success stories after reading a lot of negative things about ubuntu on laptops! Thanks.

Sam.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Recommended laptop for 12.04

Quote Originally Posted by samwillc View Post
    Hi everyone.

I am going to buy a laptop but after reading a few stories about pretty poor power management in ubuntu 12.04, I am open to suggestions about which ones work well, specifically battery life. I don't do gaming, just programming/web design/small graphics editing.

After seeing ancient macbooks still fetching ridiculous prices on ebay, I am at a bit of a loss here about getting up and running with some half decent hardware, in laptop form.

I'm hoping to hear some success stories after reading a lot of negative things about ubuntu on laptops! Thanks.

Sam.
    There is some info in this thread,

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2097169

Also here, although i have not tried this personally.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1607911

Beans
    Distro

Hi.

It's not exactly looking promising! I wanted a nice i5 or i7 laptop similar to a macbook, maybe a samsung, but I read another thread about a stupid amount of work just to get 12.04 running on it.

Linux runs ok on my old gateway, plugged in though, probably run out of juice before it boots by the sounds of it.

This is a bit disappointing, I was really looking forward to moving onto ubuntu but I'm not buying a laptop with 5+ hours, installing ubuntu and then getting -2.5hrs out of it, what a waste!

I only have 2 choices, linux or mac osx. One comes with a massively over inflated price tag, the other with power issues!

Sam.

Beans
    Distro

Hi,

there is no power issue with Linux as long as you avoid models with discrete or (worse) hybrid graphics, for example Nvidia Optimus. Intel graphics works well for your requirements.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by linrunner View Post
    Hi,

there is no power issue with Linux as long as you avoid models with discrete or (worse) hybrid graphics, for example Nvidia Optimus. Intel graphics works well for your requirements.
    Integrated HD4000 for example?

Sam.

Beans
    Distro

Yes.

Beans
    Distro

Ok thanks.

Sam.

Beans
    Distro

My recommendation for Linux is the Lenovo ThinkPad X or T series. IMHO nothing compares to them in terms of Linux compatibility.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by samwillc View Post
    Hi.

It's not exactly looking promising! I wanted a nice i5 or i7 laptop similar to a macbook, maybe a samsung, but I read another thread about a stupid amount of work just to get 12.04 running on it.

Linux runs ok on my old gateway, plugged in though, probably run out of juice before it boots by the sounds of it.

This is a bit disappointing, I was really looking forward to moving onto ubuntu but I'm not buying a laptop with 5+ hours, installing ubuntu and then getting -2.5hrs out of it, what a waste!

I only have 2 choices, linux or mac osx. One comes with a massively over inflated price tag, the other with power issues!

Sam.
    I agree with the specs. you mention i5 or i7, my last laptop is i5, i wouldn't want
    any less in terms of processor. Samsung certainly has a good reputation.
    However i don't understand the 5+ hours to install ubuntu ?

I have installed ubuntu versions probably 10 times, and i don't think it ever takes over 1/2 hour.

I like ubuntu and continue to use it even though it is not easy on batteries.

Beans
    Distro

Hi, I meant a battery life of 5+ hours reduced to 2.5hrs once you're running ubuntu. Of course these figures are just examples.

Sam.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast