Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Recommended laptop for 12.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Recommended laptop for 12.04

Quote Originally Posted by montag dp View Post
    I'm also close to finishing my own code which basically duplicates the power savings functionality of Jupiter so that I can keep it up to date.
    Why are you trying to reinvent the wheel? Take a look at TLP.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by linrunner View Post
    I have just installed jupiter on my old laptop to see what it does before I decide which newer laptop to buy. Not sure what difference it's made as the laptop is plugged in and has always run hot even under windows 7, regularly hitting 65-70c. Although jupiter is reporting 52c now which could indicate an improvement. The fans a bit noisy but is always has been at these temps, not an ubuntu only issue there.

It looks promising to see the open source community really pushing forward on power management. Everyone knows there is a problem and everyone is trying to fix it, I love the spirit of that. That'll be why I ditched the Apple handcuffs and came back over to the sensible side!

Anyway, does this TLP program run in tandem to jupiter or is it more one or the other?

Sam.

Beans
    Distro

You should not install both at the same time.

If your laptop gets hot all the time like this and independent of the os, then a power management issue is not so likely.

You should carefully clean air vents as well as fan and all internal air channels. Removing the cpu cooler and replacing the thermal grease may also help, especially if the laptop is more than 3 years old. If you cannot do it yourself, go see an expert.
    Last edited by linrunner; January 20th, 2013 at 04:39 PM.

Beans
    Distro

You should not install both at the same time.
    Ok thanks, is there a preference of one over the other? Effectiveness? Is one maintained more frequently?

You should carefully clean air vents as well as fan and all internal air channels. Removing the cpu cooler and replacing the thermal grease may also help, especially if the laptop is more than 3 years old. If you cannot do it yourself, go see an expert.
    I did this the other day, had it apart and cleaned it, plus changed the thermal paste. Put arctic silver in there. Seems to have helped a bit.

Besides, I'm not trying to save this laptop, its ancient. It's a stand in until I get another one! doing the job very nicely at the moment though! Even though there's an 'H' key missing. External keyboard, monitor and mouse going on lol. Basically it's become my new PC tower.

Sam.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

You could also investigate laptop-mode-tools for better disk management and power use. It has helped power use on Lenovo G570, but good Firefox management (ie quit when not using) also has an impact.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ld114 View Post
    You could also investigate laptop-mode-tools for better disk management and power use. It has helped power use on Lenovo G570, but good Firefox management (ie quit when not using) also has an impact.
    I will check that out too, thanks. I always quit programs when not in use, purely not to waste any resources.

Sam.

Beans

Meh, mostly just for fun but thanks for the link too.

Beans
    Distro

I thought I'd list some actual models now, getting closer to a buy finally! I like the look and spec of these two and read that lenovo in general is particularly ubuntu friendly (and seems more powerful for less £££ actually). I haven't physically seen these laptops, but here they are:

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/samsung...56548-pdt.html

OR

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/lenovo-...56582-pdt.html

I would never buy anything in currys as the customer service is appalling but this is probably what I am after.

Does anyone have any experience/advice of these?

Thanks for all you input so far, it's been really helpful!

Sam.

**EDIT** Actually, forget those, the resolution is too low. I can see why people buy macbooks now with all the combinations of hardware on laptops, it's tricky to find the right one, at the right price. The higher resolutions seem to have dedicated graphics which I don't need. I don't do gaming at all but 1366x768 would be on the awkward side. The hunt continues.
    Last edited by samwillc; January 21st, 2013 at 08:27 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Can delete this post. Thanks.
    Last edited by samwillc; January 21st, 2013 at 09:04 PM.

Beans

I just started trying TLP and it seems pretty good. It definitely has more functionality than jupiter or the program I put together. Are you involved with its development (just judging by your username)?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast