Thread: Monitor wont stop "going to sleep"

Beans

Monitor wont stop "going to sleep"

So, I face a pretty menacing problem with Ubuntu 12.10. While browsing through google or any other site for that matter my monitor decides for absolutely no reason whatsoever to go to sleep, WITHOUT WARNING and the only way to wake it back up is literally by restarting the PC.

Answers to likely questions:

1. No, this is not an issue of inactivity, I already have it set to where my screen is never supposed to turn off.

2. There is nothing wrong with the monitor, nor it's connections. I have a dual boot of Windows 8, never happens on Windows 8, only Ubuntu 12.10 64 bit.

3 System specs: AMD dual core processor, AMD Radeon HD 5770 gpu, 4 GB of ram. All connections are solid.

Any ideas of what the problem might be? This literally happens out of nowhere. I'll be talking to someone on Facebook, blam the screen turns black and wont wake back up.

Using Ubuntu 12.10 64 bit(which I heard was buggy)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Monitor wont stop "going to sleep"

Have you tried the app caffeine. I installed it and it allows me to cut off the screensaver
    Escaping is easy; staying free is hard.

Beans

Re: Monitor wont stop "going to sleep"

Quote Originally Posted by Joentokyo View Post
    Have you tried the app caffeine. I installed it and it allows me to cut off the screensaver
    Well, I don't think it's a screen saver that's happening. As I said, I'll be in the middle of browsing\typing, and voila my screen goes to sleep and I can't wake it up. Though, I will go ahead and try the program, there's no hurt in it. I'll report back with the details.

In the meantime, if anyone else has any other suggestions that could be helpful I would appreciate it.