Thread: Mounted drive fine, but strange UUID in file list

Beans

Question Mounted drive fine, but strange UUID in file list

I was following this advice here exactly.
    After I got the UUID of the second partition on the second drive using sudo blkid, I added it to fstab like this..(substituting my UUID here).

Code:
    UUID=MYID UUID...  /media/MYID UUID...   ext4     errors=remount-ro,auto,exec,rw,user 0       0
    The drive mounts fine, but at the top in the title bar my UUID shows rather than the volume lable and I'm also seeing another.. what looks like a drive in the places list with a long name, which happens to be the identical name of the UUID. I'm also not able to create a folder. I get permission denied. Yet I can mount the first NTFS partition on this second SATA drive. I'm not sure where I went wrong. I also tried removing the commas from the permissions section at the far right using just spaces instead. Made no difference. Shouldn't user 0 0 give anyone rw permission?

The lyout of the 2nd SATA drive is:
    sdb1 NTFS
    sdb2 EXT4 (partition being mounted)
    Last edited by starstreams; January 13th, 2013 at 04:11 AM. Reason: spelling error

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Mounted drive fine, but strange UUID in file list

Maybe the use of /media and the same UUID that is usually used by automounting confuses the system?

For my internal third HD (ext3 formatted, dedicated to photos), I use the following line in fstab and I don't have issues (as far as I know).
    Code:
    UUID="6ff7017c-e4d9-49ba-9a1b-b62e45dab820" /mnt/photos ext3 defaults 0 2
    It's mounted in /mnt (mountpoint photos), not in /media; /media is, in my opinion, a temporary mount for removable media, not for internal HDs.

Note: Using Ubuntu 12.04, not Lubuntu.

PS
    obviously you need to replace the uuid and you need to create a suitable mountpoint (preferably with a name that suites you; e.g. MySecondDisk instead of photos)
    If you don't make backups of your important data, your data is obviously not important to you.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Wim Sturkenboom View Post
    It's mounted in /mnt (mountpoint photos), not in /media; /media is, in my opinion, a temporary mount for removable media, not for internal HDs.
    I don't think this is the case here Wim. Because when I mount a drive (Not using the sftab file) the system mounts hard drives at Media by defult.

This is getting more strange by the min.
    This has turned into two different issues I think.

EDIT-2:
    Looks like I fixed the
    Error Creating directory: Permission denied.

Did a:
    Code:
    sudo chown user:user /media/DriveVol
    Just need to restart and see if the setting holds...
    Last edited by starstreams; January 14th, 2013 at 09:22 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by starstreams View Post
    I don't think this is the case here Wim. Because when I mount a drive (Not using the sftab file) the system mounts hard drives at Media by defult.
    Temporary mount is still true But I overlooked the internal disks that are not mounted by default; my bad

It's not clear from your last post if this is solved or not. If it is, please mark as solved using the thread tools just above the first post on the page. If not, leave it and somebody else who uses Lubuntu might be able to advise; looks like a Lubuntu specific issue.
    If you don't make backups of your important data, your data is obviously not important to you.

Beans

Hi Wim

EDIT

Ok, everything seems to be working now!

I think this was a permissions issue. I just needed to take ownership of the volume as it was set to root only. My fstab file seems to be working also. From what I've learned tonight from experimenting. mnt is a temporary mount point ...(in Lubuntu at least). As my fstab file is set to mount at /Media/Data-drive, it works. Note: The Dada-drive folder I made as my mount point also shows up in mnt, which I think it should as stated "mnt" is where the system temporarily mounts things.
    Also, the reason I'm able to view config files even though I've set my account back from admin to a desktop user is because I'm a member of the adm group which can only read but not write without entering sudo first. Everything seems to be working great! No strange errors anymore.

P.s I'm not sure why that tutorial I was reading said to use two UUIDs in the fstab file, but you're advice to remove the second was good!

Thanks for the help, Much appreceated!
    Last edited by starstreams; January 14th, 2013 at 09:19 AM.