Hello all. I downloaded the 64-bit Ubuntu 12.10 .iso, and both burned it to a DVD, and copied it onto a 16 GB USB thumbstick using the startup disk creator on my ubuntu 12.10 laptop. I then tried to install it on a new computer I just built, with a Gigabyte 78LMT-S2P motherboard on it. The little googling I've done shows people having all sorts of problems with Linux and this particular motherboard, ( for instance http://www.rodsbooks.com/gb-hybrid-efi/ ) but I don't really understand what EFI is.

I have been doing this with all hard drives unplugged from the motherboard, hoping this would eliminate some of the problems people have mentioned. Anyway, here's what happens:

So for trying to do the DVD, I insert the DVD then start up the computer. I hit delete to open bios, and set the fail-safe defaults, then make the following changes:
EFI CD/DVD Boot Option = NON-EFI
First Boot Device = CDROM

I reboot, and then it gets stuck on the "Boot from CD/DVD:" line. Sometimes, the text output all changes from white on black to green on black. Once, I got a screen of ascii garbage. It's worth mentioning that the DVD drive is a possible culprit, because it was taken from the last computer and plugged into this. It had no problems before. When the system starts up, the DVD light flashes a regular green several times, and then stops. I haven't been able to find a meaning for that kind of pattern. It opens, closes, and spins up just fine as far as I can tell.

Now, trying the thumbstick, I do the exact same as above except I set First Boot Device = USB-HDD. I've also tried USB-FDD, to no avail. In either case, the output is "Verifying DMI Pool Data ...........\nBoot error\n".

Please let me know what I can do to fix this problem. I'm sure I'm not giving you all the information I can, but I don't know exactly what else would be pertinent.