Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 12.10 installs fine, won't boot after restart

Beans

12.10 installs fine, won't boot after restart

Been trying for two days to install 12.10 to a Dell Latitude D430. I just installed a 32GB Sandisk SSD, and the installer has no trouble detecting the drive, and appears to work perfectly. After reboot, however, all I get is a blinking cursor and no other response.

I previously had 11.xx running on the same notebook, but running from a thumb drive. This was not the live iso, but actually installed from DVD to an 8GB USB stick as though it were a regular drive. I've tried both 32 and 64 bit versions, and tried installing from a thumb drive as well as a DVD, all with identical results.
    I just want to make this into a glorified netbook for use with schoolwork, but I'm beginning to lose hope and if someone here can't help me I'm going to end up swallowing a bullet and installing Windows 7 instead, so HELP!
    Last edited by Skymutt; January 11th, 2013 at 11:49 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: 12.20 installs fine, won't boot after restart

Do you have multiple drives in that system?
    Is the SSD first in the boot order?
    AMD Athlon XP 2000+
    ASUS A7V8X-X 2GB DDR
    ATI Radeon 7500 64 MB

Beans

The only other "drive" was an SD card, but I removed it before the next install attempt. As for drive order, I've changed it, but only after the last try, would installing with it in the top spot make a difference?

Beans

Re: 12.10 installs fine, won't boot after restart

Ok, so I just double checked, and the ISO I used back when I installed on the USB drive is named ubuntu-11.10-alternate-i386.iso So now I'm not even sure if that's the standard release of 11.10 or something else, ack! Is that just the designation for an alternate download because I used bittorrent, or does it denote a specialized release?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Don't panic, the alternate installer is the same OS when it is finished. The difference is the installer itself, which is a text based installer rather than the GUI based one on the standard installer.

You said, however, in your first post, that you were trying to install 12.10, and the iso that you mention in the last post is one for 11.10. That will not, of course, install 12.10.

The blinking cursor might be a video problem, or maybe GRUB did not get installed properly.

I think the first thing might be to go here

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair

and follow the instructions to get a bootable medium and generate the boot info script from a live environment. This will show the exact state of your install, including which version you have installed and if the grub boot loader is intact. If not, the boot repair function might get it going. If it all looks ok, you might need to start looking into video problems.
    Michael

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Skymutt View Post
    I just installed a 32GB Sandisk SSD, and the installer has no trouble detecting the drive, and appears to work perfectly. After reboot, however, all I get is a blinking cursor and no other response.
    The only other "drive" was an SD card, but I removed it before the next install attempt. As for drive order, I've changed it, but only after the last try, would installing with it in the top spot make a difference?
    Changing drive configurations (adding and removing drives to the system) and changing their boot order could have caused this.
    When Linux installs itself, if you do not install in on the primary partition of the very first drive, Linux will install a bootloader on the primary partion of the first drive pointing at wherever you installed Linux. If you change drives in and out or if you change the boot order after the installation is complete, this will get all messed up.
    Try reinstalling GRUB2, the most likely bootloader Ubuntu would've installed. It'll figure where all your stuff's at and set it straight.
    AMD Athlon XP 2000+
    ASUS A7V8X-X 2GB DDR
    ATI Radeon 7500 64 MB

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by tlhIngan View Post
    ...Try reinstalling GRUB2, the most likely bootloader Ubuntu would've installed...

Ubuntu would have installed Grub2. The boot repair utility that I linked to will, as far as I know, re-install grub if that is what the problem is. The boot info will at least show if it is not there.
    Michael

Beans

Yeah, I tried to edit the typo, but it doesn't seem to be sticking in all the right places. Oh well, I'm a noob, feel free to mock me.

Anyhow, I tried the boot repair that mick linked to, and it didn't work, but generated this error log...

http://paste.ubuntu.com/1521601/

Perchance someone who understands more of it than I do can tell me if it points to the problem?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Yeah, I tried to edit the typo, but it doesn't seem to be sticking in all the right places. Oh well, I'm a noob, feel free to mock me. ...
    You don't get much time to edit a title if you've made a mistake - you can use the report abuse button to ask staff to change things.

I've edited the title.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Elfy View Post
    You don't get much time to edit a title if you've made a mistake - you can use the report abuse button to ask staff to change things.

I've edited the title.
    Thanks, Elfy. I didn't mean to sound as though I thought I was being harassed though, the "mock me" comment was all in fun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast