Thread: pthread_cond_wait() CPU usage

Beans

pthread_cond_wait() CPU usage

It looks like each wait using this method consumes like 0.5-0.7% of CPU.
    To me it's a lot of CPU, when waiting in like 8 threads (doing nothing) the app uses like 4-5% of CPU!
    Can I do anything about it?

See this youtube video (at 1080p), process name "ufbio".

The relevant waiting code for each thread's cond_wait:
    Code:
    while(hints.bits & UFB_BIT_PAUSED) {
    L;
        status = pthread_cond_wait(&hints.cond, &hints.mutex);//HERE each thread waits
    L;
        if(status != 0) {
            ufbErr(status);
        }
        if(hints.bits & UFB_BIT_CANCELLED) {
            break;
        }
    }
    "L;" prints "PING" plus the current line and function, like "PING {253}{ioCopy}", it shows up in the video in the terminal to prove the threads are doing nothing else.
    Last edited by bird1500; January 12th, 2013 at 02:14 AM.

Beans

Re: pthread_cond_wait() CPU usage

The reason for high CPU usage was another thread copying stats from all (including paused) I/O threads to display the stats in the GUI. Now that it only copies stats from working threads the CPU usage is below 1% when all I/O threads are paused, that is, pthread_cond_wait()ing. Problem solved.

Now that it's fixed, here's the new vid with low CPU usage.
    Last edited by bird1500; January 12th, 2013 at 01:09 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 16.04 Xenial Xerus

What project are you working on ? Just curious

Beans

A file browser for myself - ufb (ubuntu file browser), on the video is a complement of it, the I/O program that runs independently - ufbio - the best part of the latter is that you can pause/resume file I/O operations which is helpful since the desktop Linux typically stutters (sometimes a lot) more than Windows when doing I/O (people noticed it a long time ago, but no one really fixed it, and random people experience it, very weird, might be a collection of bugs).

Nautilus (the worst one), thunar, pcman aren't good enough for me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Cool, hope it could be in the repository
    since the desktop Linux typically stutters (sometimes a lot) more than Windows when doing I/O (people noticed it a long time ago, but no one really fixed it, and random people experience it, very weird, might be a collection of bugs).
    I experience it too. That is because Linux's multi-task mechanism. Since linux is targeted on servers which is usually I/O intense and I/O typically wastes more time to finish a task than others, it gives I/O processes more time slices(by a static weight) than other processes. In addition, the maximum time slice in linux is 800ms in contrary to windows 95's 20ms (I don't know the current version's)
    Last edited by DaviesX; January 13th, 2013 at 02:18 AM.

Beans

Glad it's not a bug, hopefully someone someday makes it a configurable option in some kernel config file so that I can change its value (closer to 20ms) while not having to recompile the kernel. I guess a lot of desktop Linux users would like to buy him a beer.
    Last edited by bird1500; January 13th, 2013 at 02:51 AM.