Thread: Ubuntu Through Wubi Is Different Than Regular Ubuntu?

Beans

Ubuntu Through Wubi Is Different Than Regular Ubuntu?

I was just wondering if there are any real differences in installing Ubuntu through Wubi instead of using a DVD. Also if some of the things below are correct.

Wubi doesn't change the partitions it just creates a virtual disk pretty much and thats why there is a limit on how big the "HDD" can be?

If the above is correct then Ubuntu would also have to be changed in other ways to work with this virtual disk correct?

I have Ubuntu on my laptop as the only OS and Ubuntu on my desktop as a dualboot through the WUBI installer, some things just do not work however they work fine on regular Ubuntu (my laptop). Is there a reason for this since I did the exact same thing on both?

I have other questions but first I guess the big one is "is there a difference between WUBI and regular installation?"

Beans

Re: Ubuntu Through Wubi Is Different Than Regular Ubuntu?

Yeah more or less WUBI is much like a virtual install and if you notice a wubi install of ubuntu is slower than a normal install.
    And yeah it seems to have a space limit, but then again its intended for those who are curious about Ubuntu instead of devoting a full install.
    Also it is noted that yeah Wubi has a lot of bugs, kind of expected as its not a dedicated system.
    And yeha the differences are huge, thus why mosrt reccomend a dual boot over a wubi install.
    Though for beginners I think wubi does a fair enough job.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by MadmanRB View Post
    Yeah more or less WUBI is much like a virtual install and if you notice a wubi install of ubuntu is slower than a normal install.
    And yeah it seems to have a space limit, but then again its intended for those who are curious about Ubuntu instead of devoting a full install.
    Also it is noted that yeah Wubi has a lot of bugs, kind of expected as its not a dedicated system.
    And yeha the differences are huge, thus why mosrt reccomend a dual boot over a wubi install.
    Though for beginners I think wubi does a fair enough job.
    Good answer, I wish the wubi install tutorials mentioned more
    remarks like these.

Beans

Yeah I did a couple of wubi installs and its easy to tell that its all virtual and adding the fact that it uninstalls like a windows app.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

WUBI's a neat look at Ubuntu, that's about it, though. The real experience is far, far better.