Thread: network hosts file

Beans

network hosts file

I want to use a single hosts file for all the computers on a network; I have a DNS server that they all use already, and a hosts file I acquired on the internet that blocks thousands of undesirable website addresses known to be associated with malicious programs.
    Can I use the hosts on my DNS server for all the machines on the network, or would it be easier to improvise a domain zone for blocked websites with all the addresses listed? (on reflection not sure how I'd improvise this...)
    Last edited by Toriku; January 11th, 2013 at 03:25 PM.

Beans

Re: network hosts file

I suspect you're referring to the "malware block list." If you're trying to institute filtering for a whole network of users, I recommend looking into setting up a transparent Squid proxy. There is a Squid version of the MBL that I use on a client's Internet gateway, along with a variety of other custom filtering rules. We run a cron job to update the list every four hours. We also use the MBL version for SpamAssassin to block emails with dangerous URLs.

If you have any reasonable number of workstations on your network, filtering by using hosts files on every machine is a pain in the butt. Centralize the filtering at the egress gateway with Squid.
    Last edited by SeijiSensei; January 11th, 2013 at 05:02 PM.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

Re: network hosts file

thanks, I'll read into Squid now