Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Reminder of 12.04.2 release 01-31-2013

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Smile Re: Is it safe to Download today's AMD64 12.04.2 Alternate Build?

Quote Originally Posted by howefield View Post
    Actually, he is more likely to be running 12.04.02 if he is fully updated.

Anyone running 12.04 will have to deliberately install the newer 3.5 kernel to get it, either by manually installing from the repos or installing fresh from a 12.04.2 installation media.
    What I was referring to is the following: If you Clean Install Today's Nightly Build of 12.04.2, you will end up with Kernel Linux 3.5.0-23-generic on an AMD64 Ubuntu 12.04.2 Clean Install.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by kevpan815; February 10th, 2013 at 10:24 PM. Reason: Attached Screenshoot.
    2013 Dell Inspiron 15 3521 Laptop, 2010 Dell Inspiron 1012 Mini Net Book, 2010 Dell Inspiron Zino HD 400, Sprint Samsung Galaxy S4, and Apple IPad Mini WIFI Only.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    As to your question ...safe, sure, there should be no real issues.

If after install you wish to upgrade mesa/xserver to the '..lts-quantal' versions then that's certainly possible.
    There may be some easy way, (ppa or whatever), or you can do so in synaptic with a little bit of patience & paying attention, just did so here to see
    (basically you'd remove most the current non lts packages in mesa/xserver along with a whole lot more (compiz, unity*, ect. ect.

Then after refreshing sources install the lts ones & then all the previous removed packages (or install ubuntu-desktop should pull most of those back.. unity*, compiz ect.
    Actually, all I wanted to know was if today Build worked or NOT (which the other guy who Filed the Bug Report marked the Installation as a Fail rather than a Pass and then used his Bug Report as a Reason for Marking it as a Fail rather than a Pass, and then Re-opened his own Bug Report even after the Ubuntu Developer's told him that it was an Invalid Bug Report). I just finished installing today's 12.04.2 Nightly Build and am pleased to report that it is a Pass, NOT A FAIL. Problem Solved.
    2013 Dell Inspiron 15 3521 Laptop, 2010 Dell Inspiron 1012 Mini Net Book, 2010 Dell Inspiron Zino HD 400, Sprint Samsung Galaxy S4, and Apple IPad Mini WIFI Only.

Beans

Re: Is it safe to Download today's AMD64 12.04.2 Alternate Build?

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Man View Post
    Thread moved to General Help.
    I really don't think this should have been moved because we've been discussing 12.04.2 testing in Ubuntu + 1.

This sort of dates all the way back to here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2044030
    Last edited by kansasnoob; February 10th, 2013 at 11:04 PM.

Beans

I've not had time to try any of the alternate images yet

I really wore myself out trying some upgrade/replace options with the live image ........ something I'm trying to figure out myself:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...9&postcount=36

Beans
    Distro

Thumbs down Re: Is it safe to Download today's AMD64 12.04.2 Alternate Build?

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    I really don't think this should have been moved because we've been discussing 12.04.2 testing in Ubuntu + 1.

This sort of dates all the way back to here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2044030
    I'm confused as well, I thought Ubuntu +1 was the proper place to discuss 12.04.2 as it has still not been officially released yet, at least not till Thursday at the earliest (assuming that it does not get delayed again), as the Alternate Builds are still Oversized.

Beans
    Distro

Thumbs down Re: Is it safe to Download today's AMD64 12.04.2 Alternate Build?

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    I've not had time to try any of the alternate images yet

I really wore myself out trying some upgrade/replace options with the live image ........ something I'm trying to figure out myself:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...9&postcount=36
    I've been doing LVM + Encryption Installs of the 12.04.2 Nightly Builds and everything has been working just fine so far other than the fact that the Alternate Builds are still Oversized, so I have to use a DVD instead just like I do with 13.04 Nightly Builds. Other than that, no problems so far.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Posted in error.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

From what I have read in this thread I conclude that someone thought that a certain library should be in the 12.04.2 ISO image and when it was not included this person reported its absence as a bug. It is not a bug type bug. It is a non-bug type bug.

This kind of mis-reporting gives the impression that Ubuntu is buggy. I think that it is an abuse of the bug reporting system.

Canned response

Thank you for taking the time to make Ubuntu better. Since what you submitted is not really a bug, or a problem, but rather an idea to improve Ubuntu, you are invited to post your idea in Ubuntu Brainstorm at http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/ where it can be discussed, voted on by the community, and reviewed by developers. Thanks for taking the time to share your opinion!
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/HowToTriage

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro

I was NOT trying to get anyone in trouble, I was just curious if it was actually safe to install Yesterday's 12.04.2 Nightly Build, seeing how this other guy Marked Yesterday's Build as a Fail rather than a Pass, as I already said, the problem is solved as I was successfully able to install Yesterday's Build without any Problems.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Quote Originally Posted by kevpan815 View Post
    I was NOT trying to get anyone in trouble, I was just curious if it was actually safe to install Yesterday's 12.04.2 Nightly Build, seeing how this other guy Marked Yesterday's Build as a Fail rather than a Pass, as I already said, the problem is solved as I was successfully able to install Yesterday's Build without any Problems.

Basically that is why we are all testing and what may be a FAIL on one machine will be a PASS on another. I see all sorts of bug reports this cycle .. amd64 no way starting up and on my machines all is working well. So there are all sorts of different scenarios .. that's what makes it so much fun...

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast