Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Reminder of 12.04.2 release 01-31-2013

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Reminder of 12.04.2 release 01-31-2013

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    Since everyone is spell checking everyone else lately I assume you mean 10.04.4
    You got that right! LOL! I did mean 10.04.4!

I sure hope 12.04.2 does away with the read only file system on recovery! That has caused me countless headaches!
    Today I could not get into Precise: it would allow me to enter my password and "start" to begin the login process and after 2 seconds back to the login screen.

I had gone by Paddy's workaround to install the most current nvidia driver:
    1) Login to recovery.
    2) Select root console and enter:
    Code:
    mount --options remount,rw /
    mount --all
    Today what saved me was root console and entering nvidia-installer --uninstall which totally got rid of the driver.
    Then I could select one from SPM and I got it back. Whew! I thought I lost it but, it seems there is almost always a way to fix it.
    The more experience you have, the more options you have.
    Check Java Version | Install Java via WEB UPD8 PPA
    Creating a Custom Maintenance Free GRUB2 Screen Community Wiki
    Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q9550 @ 2.84Ghz. 4.0GB DDR2 RAM, NVIDIA Geforce 9800 GT

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Cavsfan View Post
    You got that right! LOL! I did mean 10.04.4!

I sure hope 12.04.2 does away with the read only file system on recovery! That has caused me countless headaches!
    Today I could not get into Precise: it would allow me to enter my password and "start" to begin the login process and after 2 seconds back to the login screen.

I had gone by Paddy's workaround to install the most current nvidia driver:
    1) Login to recovery.
    2) Select root console and enter:
    Code:
    mount --options remount,rw /
    mount --all
    Today what saved me was root console and entering nvidia-installer --uninstall which totally got rid of the driver.
    Then I could select one from SPM and I got it back. Whew! I thought I lost it but, it seems there is almost always a way to fix it.
    The more experience you have, the more options you have.
    Yes! The recovery mode has stunk for how long now?

I think it was borked at least as far back as Oneiric

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Yes! The recovery mode has stunk for how long now?

I think it was borked at least as far back as Oneiric
    Definitely! I was complacent on Lucid and then when I found out grub changed my how to needed updating.

I loaded 12.04 with Grub 1.99 and Drs305 and Bogan helped me right it. I have been keeping up with every version
    since then and yes most had that horrible read-only file system at recovery.

Grub 2.00 seems to be the best.

So, you are saying that they are definitely doing away with the read-only recovery on 12.04.2 which comes out on the 14th? I so hope so!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

That is really weird. An invitation to drop to a root shell prompt with a file system that is read only. Cannot even update the OS to see if that fixes the problem. And they call it Friendly Recovery.

I get around it by first going to Failsafe and then backing out and choosing Root. Failsafe gets a read/write file system. Root does not.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

Is this the correct bug report:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ry/+bug/996454

I suspect we'll still have an actual iso-testing session next week for 12.04.2 and it might be beneficial to turn up the heat on this bug

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    That is really weird. An invitation to drop to a root shell prompt with a file system that is read only. Cannot even update the OS to see if that fixes the problem. And they call it Friendly Recovery.

I get around it by first going to Failsafe and then backing out and choosing Root. Failsafe gets a read/write file system. Root does not.

Regards.
    Nothing in recovery works for me except drop to root shell. I cannot get network access, failsafe also just leads to a dead OS.
    All I can do is press the reset button on my PC. If I have to download anything I have to do it on another Ubuntu and copy it to Precise.
    As you say, basically worthless and even worse for me.

Is this the correct bug report:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ry/+bug/996454

I suspect we'll still have an actual iso-testing session next week for 12.04.2 and it might be beneficial to turn up the heat on this bug
    Yes that is the bug and I had already added my name and commented at the bottom. I added an additional comment too.
    That is also where I found Paddy Landau's workaround. I managed to install the latest Nvidia driver straight from Nvida but, that went kablooey this morning.

Precise has been the only version I have not been able to install the Nvidia driver.

I so hope that is fixed. The whole concept of "Recovery mode" is basically broken for me.
    Can't believe there are only 14 names on that bug including myself.
    I wish we could get everyone that has Precise installed to add their name to that bug!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Cavsfan View Post
    Nothing in recovery works for me except drop to root shell. I cannot get network access, failsafe also just leads to a dead OS.
    All I can do is press the reset button on my PC. If I have to download anything I have to do it on another Ubuntu and copy it to Precise.
    As you say, basically worthless and even worse for me.

Yes that is the bug and I had already added my name and commented at the bottom. I added an additional comment too.
    That is also where I found Paddy Landau's workaround. I managed to install the latest Nvidia driver straight from Nvida but, that went kablooey this morning.

Precise has been the only version I have not been able to install the Nvidia driver.

I so hope that is fixed. The whole concept of "Recovery mode" is basically broken for me.
    Can't believe there are only 14 names on that bug including myself.
    I wish we could get everyone that has Precise installed to add their name to that bug!
    I've seen no indication that it'll be fixed

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I've seen no indication that it'll be fixed
    I guess 14 people are not enough to worry about. But, I cannot believe that many others including the developers are not familiar with this bad recovery mode!
    This is an LTS for heaven's sake! But, that is also what I gather from looking at that bug report.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

When I upgrade my version of Lucid 10.04 to 12.04.2 will it pull in Grub 2.00 or is that only on a clean install.
    Also, on my current 12.04 install will it too pull in Grub 2.00 when 12.04.2 is released?

Just curious about what to expect.

dino99 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Cant say whats doing right now; but anyway:

-dist upgrade, then purge everything about the installed grub: grub, grub-pc, grub*, menu.lst
    - clean the system: clean/autoclean/autoremove/gtkorphan/bleachbit
    - update the repo again
    - then reinstall grub-pc

that will let you a clean bootloader config.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast