Question any people here tried PC-BSD?

what were your impressions?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: any people here tried PC-BSD?

Quote Originally Posted by paradive View Post
    Awhile back I tried PC-BSD 8. Difficult to get all my hardware working - though that may not be an example over all of PC-BSD.

My very rough impression... Linux better supported and more developed than freeBSD, aka PC-BSD, in the desktop arena.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Posting this from PC-BSD 9.1 64-bit running in VirtualBox on Ubuntu 12.04. PC-BSD seems to be making strides towards better desktop compatibility. Still some issues with hardware compatibility, so you may want to try a Live-USB image or install a VBox or VMware image unless you have a spare machine to try a bare metal install.

My VM in VBox still has some networking issues (just got networking going) but everything else so far is working as expected. Should be interesting to watch this continue to develop.
    Reminder: If you start a thread asking for help with a problem, please remember to use the Thread Tools to mark the issue as "SOLVED" once you have a solution. This will help other people with the same problem when they search for answers.

Beans

I've said this before, but I believe that bsd Will die out And eventually merge with linux.
    Steam: ubuntugamer( Add me ) | Gaming: Left 4 Dead 2, Metro Last Light, Assassin's Creed 4, Forced

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Dlambert View Post
    I've said this before, but I believe that bsd Will die out And eventually merge with linux.
    BSD on servers is alive and kicking and bringing out new and interesting things all the time. On the desktop it might never be prominent.

Beans

Insofar as "it won't boot" can be considered an impression...

I liked FreeBSD though. Would have been great as a server OS; unfortunately, it didn't last long on my desktop.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by paradive View Post
    to many things dont work like touch pads etc on lap tops. It may be ok on a desktop.

Beans

I have used it as one of my OSes (along with Xubuntu, Mint, Lubuntu, and Fedora) for the last few years.

It is very stable and very easy to use, but it lacks some hardware support (specifically for AMD video cards and laptops) and software support. It's very usable in a desktop setting with an Nvidia card, but I'm not sure I would recommend it over a more fully featured Linux install at this point. It doesn't offer much that *buntu, Mint, Fedora, Arch, Mageia, OpenSUSE, Sabayon, PCLinuxOS, Debian, or Slackware don't offer in a more mature form.
    ---------------
    http://the-board.info/

My site. Come visit me.

Beans

I wonder if anyone could comment (subjectively) on how it differs from the other BSDs? I'd be interested...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by trent.josephsen View Post
    I wonder if anyone could comment (subjectively) on how it differs from the other BSDs? I'd be interested...
    Though I am sure Unix folks would disagree, just as Linux folks disagree on the best Linux distro...

If you are going to check out Unix, than freeBSD is the lead branch - and thus PC-BSD is the most enriched desktop release of the Unix branches.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast