Thread: Windows 7 wont boot

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Windows 7 wont boot

I recently removed my ubuntu installation from my computer so I could repartition my hard drive into a more organized fashion. I was successful but then tried to wubi install ubuntu 12.10 and decided I would like to reallocate my partitions so that i wouldn't have any unallocated memory left over. Using minitool partition wizard, i tried to reallocate my space, but ended up making my computer unable to boot into windows 7. After various attempts to fix my computer, I am stuck at the point where when I use my installation CD for Windows 7 the recovery tool knows I have a Windows 7 install somewhere on my hard drive with a certain amount of memory but says its location is unknown. The startup repair doesn't fix anything even after completing "successfully" after forty minutes or so. Also at first the C:/ drive was my hard disk and another drive, D:/ I believe, was my Recovery drive. After the partition fail, those two letters were swapped when I accessed the recovery tool command prompt. In my desperation I ran boot repair to try and restore Windows booting, which I believe now in my noobiness was not a good idea. Now my D drive is a drive that says EFI as a folder which I believe holds boot information for ubuntu which I no longer have installed. I do not see my partition in command prompt, but I do see it as a gparted partition when I run LiveUSB ubuntu, even though I cannot access my files. If I had an external hard drive to save my Windows drive to I would have earlier. I understand if my computer is beyond repair, but I thought I would ask the community for some help Thanks

Beans

Re: Windows 7 wont boot

Have you tried this? http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392

If all else fails it is possible to install Windows 7 over the top of an existing installation without (in theory) losing your exisiting data. Perform the install as normal but choose not to format the partition. As part of the installation process all the existing data wil go into a Windows.old file on, I believe, the root of C:\. You will be able to recover your old data from there.

I used this method when I was moving from XP to 7 and like you did not have an external drive to put it to.

Obviously the normal warnings apply with doing the latter method. There is potential to lose the data but it shouldn't.

Hope this helped

Beans
    Distro

I have tried bootrec but I will try it again. I will definitely try the reinstall without formatting the drive though (I'm going to look up a bit more on it first). I'll let you know how it goes, thanks for the reply.

Beans
    Distro

So when I try to install over the drive my Windows system is on, I get this message: "Windows cannot be installed to this hard disk space. The partition is an EFI system partition (ESP)."

Also I can't find my drive in the recovery tools command prompt and running bootrec and all of its options does nothing for me. Because of the way the partition is set up I guess windows can't mount the drive?

Beans

I have to admit to not being too familiar with EFI so not sure where to go with the "install over".

With Bootrec, I have two thoughts. 1) WinRe creates a RAMdisk and assigns it a drive letter which means it probably won't reflect the same drive letters as your use to (My students to have to go through the driv letter alphabet until they find what they want lol). 2) you may need to mount the EFI partition using mountvol to see it properly.

Beans

Before messing by failure, I suggest you understanding the problematic situation.
    Do not change (write to) the partitions in the problematic HDDs.
    Boot with live Ubuntu or some live linux distribution and run boot info script (or boot repair) and generate a log (RESULTS.txt and/or the URL of the uploaded information on your PC).
    Boot info script can be downloaded at:
    http://bootinfoscript.sourceforge.net/
    Post the contents of the generated RESULTS.txt between "[ code]" and "[ /code]" tags (omit the spaces just after the "[") or the URL generated by boot repair.
    Last edited by kiyop; January 12th, 2013 at 05:11 AM.
    OpenBox: Debian Wheezy, Sid, Snowlinux, Aptosid, Siduction, Crunchbang, Ubuntu, Mint, ZorinOS, OS4, Arch, Manjaro, Mageia, Fedora, CentOS, OpenSuSE, PCLinuxOS, Sabayon, Slackware, Win XP/7
    http://kiyoandkei.bbs.fc2.com/