Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Unnecessary var, tmp, and usr Partitions.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Unnecessary var, tmp, and usr Partitions.

i'm always surprised by these new users, having read here and there but mostly outside ubuntu wikis, non standard and/or outdated (very outdated) procedures.
    Why they does not follow the default howto proposed by the installer ? that's a mystery

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by dino99 View Post
    i'm always surprised by these new users, having read here and there but mostly outside ubuntu wikis, non standard and/or outdated (very outdated) procedures.
    Why they does not follow the default howto proposed by the installer ? that's a mystery
    I guess that it is a pity that there remains so much literature surrounding Ubuntu that clouds the issue. I can not even quote where I obtained the information now, but it seemed to make sense at the time. It sure is embarrassing to come out in public when you wish to do something about rectifying the situation.

Cheers -
    PopularPages: A very handy Documentation Search Tool used by many.
    PopularPages Wiki Thread
    My New Blog

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by BlinkinCat View Post
    It sure is embarrassing to come out in public when you wish to do something about rectifying the situation.
    No need for embarrassment; we all experiment and make mistakes in the process. Experimenting is part of the fun of Linux.

In my opinion a separate /home is useless, because for real safety you need an *external* backup of your valuable files anyway. On an external medium, like an external USB hard disk.

Two partitions (one for / and one for swap) is the Ubuntu default, which in my opinion is a very sensible choice of the Ubuntu developers
    Last edited by Pjotr123; January 11th, 2013 at 11:44 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Pjotr123 View Post
    No need for embarrassment; we all experiment and make mistakes in the process. Experimenting is part of the fun of Linux.

In my opinion a separate /home is useless, because for real safety you need an *external* backup of your valuable files anyway. On an external medium, like an external USB hard disk.

Two partitions (one for / and one for swap) is the Ubuntu default, which in my opinion is a very sensible choice of the Ubuntu developers
    Do I not also need a /boot partition ? -
    PopularPages Wiki Thread
    My New Blog

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

comments:

do i need a /home partition ?
    despite the post above, i should always answer: yes , even if backing (time to time) on an external device is also a good choice. But saying that /home partition is quite useless, is not the expected answer.

do i need a /boot ?
    at first glance : no , but you will need one with some new config (gpt/uefi). So if you are concerned, then google around "ubuntu grub /boot"

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by dino99 View Post
    comments:

do i need a /home partition ?
    despite the post above, i should always answer: yes , even if backing (time to time) on an external device is also a good choice. But saying that /home partition is quite useless, is not the expected answer.

do i need a /boot ?
    at first glance : no , but you will need one with some new config (gpt/uefi). So if you are concerned, then google around "ubuntu grub /boot"
    Thanks for your input dino99 - you have been of assistance. For this old man, sometimes it is difficult to come to the right conclusion. I would like to search out some books that would help me with the various aspects of linux.

Cheers -
    PopularPages Wiki Thread
    My New Blog

Beans

Highly unlikely. I suggest you try first without one; if you can boot, you're allright.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Highly unlikely. I suggest you try first without one; if you can boot, you're allright.
    Thanks Pjotr123 - I will take what you say onboard, however as I was relying on CharlesA to get rid of /usr, /var and /tmp I will wait to get further input from him. Even in the short discussions on this thread we have differing viewpoints, which only tend to confuse matters to me. It seems with all of the available documentation there are still issues of non-standardization. I am leaning towards reducing the partitions by three, If I can achieve that I believe I will be content - but time will tell.

Thanks to dino99 also.

Cheers -
    PopularPages Wiki Thread
    My New Blog

Beans

Even in the short discussions on this thread we have differing viewpoints, which only tend to confuse matters to me. It seems with all of the available documentation there are still issues of non-standardization.
    Often there are many ways to achieve a goal, neither of which is wrong.... As in this case. You can choose the one you like best.

Personally, I tend to favour the way that I think is the most simple. Simple systems are the most reliable and bother-free in the long run, is my experience...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Often there are many ways to achieve a goal, neither of which is wrong.... As in this case. You can choose the one you like best.

Personally, I tend to favour the way that I think is the most simple. Simple systems are the most reliable and bother-free in the long run, is my experience...
    Thanks very much for your input Pjotr123 -
    PopularPages Wiki Thread
    My New Blog

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast