Thread: Dell Wireless not working

Beans

Dell Wireless not working

I'm New to Ubuntu. I just put in a new hard drive in my Dell xps m1330 and did a DVD install of Ubuntu 12.10. When all finshed I can only connect a Eternet cable to get my internet. I went in to System Setting>Network and it only shows Wired and Network Proxy. No wireless is showen in this screen. I also went in to Software Sources>Aditional Drives and found Broadcom Corporation:BCM4311 802.11 a/b/g and told it to use this devices and it still does not show anything?

Has anyone had this problem and fixed this issue?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Dell Wireless not working

did u not install properiatery drivers while installing ubuntu?
    the ubuntumite

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by adityamagadi View Post
    did u not install properiatery drivers while installing ubuntu?
    No, because the last time I tryed Ubuntu (cant remember the version) it loaded automaticaly.

I know windows pretty well but I do not know ubuntu at all. So do I just need to go to dells website and try the drives listed for my service tag? or is there a place I can find the Ubuntu ones?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cscammahorn View Post
    No, because the last time I tryed Ubuntu (cant remember the version) it loaded automaticaly.

I know windows pretty well but I do not know ubuntu at all. So do I just need to go to dells website and try the drives listed for my service tag? or is there a place I can find the Ubuntu ones?

The two commands in the following (post 1) should take care of you. You must be hooked up to the ethernet when doing it though.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...hlight=BCM4311