Thread: Ubuntun will not allow Unity 3d (12.04)

Beans

Ubuntun will not allow Unity 3d (12.04)

Hi Guys,

I'm having a little trouble with my laptop. I've been running Ubuntu since I got it 3.5 years ago, and 12.04 since it came out. Up until 2 days ago it was all fine, then when trying to do a standard update it hit a bump. There were some package problems that I traced to not having enough space. It caused some error messages and Unity 3d would not start. I've managed to reinstall those packages (linux-headers-generic 3.2.0-36.57) but still Unity 3d will not work.

Any ideas? I'm not great in the terminal (I can cut and paste as good as the next man: but that's about all) and I don't know how to find the problem, or how to fix it. Hence asking/begging for your help!

I'm running a Toshiba Satellite A200 with 12.04.

Cheers

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Ubuntun will not allow Unity 3d (12.04)

Make sure you have not got any broken packages in synaptic.
    If you have run:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get -f install
    It would also be advisable to clear out your redundant kernels, Ubuntu Tweak is a good tool for that, then update, upgrade & reboot.

Beans

Thanks - I've checked for broken packages and there are none. I've also tried the -f install command, and no joy there either. I'll give Ubuntu tweak a go though. Will let you know the result.

Beans

Re: Ubuntu will not allow Unity 3d (12.04)

OK, so I used Ubuntu Tweak to clear out old Kernels, rebooted and...

No Unity.

Not 3d, not 2d, not even the launcher.

I've spent the last 6 hours with my HTC Desire trying to find out how to fix this, I've managed to upgrade to 12.10, but still no Unity. I'm back on Gnome Classic for now (ugh) because I cannot for the life of me get Unity back.

Any ideas? I'm completely stumped - I'm not great with tinkering with these machines, I'm happy to get them set up and leave them in peace normally, but that does leave me out to sea when things like this happen.

HELP!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Hello,

You can try :

Code:
     sudo apt-get install --reinstall ubuntu-desktop
    and then

Code:
     sudo apt-get install --reinstall unity
    I used this when I had a broken unity and it worked for me.

John.

Beans

Hi John,

Thanks for the advice, but it hasn't worked for me. I have just installed 12.10, but still nothing. I managed to get Gnome working, so at least I can access the internets on a screen more than 2 inches across, but I'd prefer to get Unity working again.