Thread: Mac Mini Server Ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Mac Mini Server Ideas?

Hey everyone!

I happened upon an older Intel 1.6 Ghz Core Duo Mac Mini (which I thought was a G4) it had Tiger installed on it but I didn't really have a need for another desktop. So I thought it would be a fun project to throw a few things on there and run it headless (which I found has some quirks).

I started off with just a simple LAMP server but I've added a few things like BIND9 and Minidlna.
    I have a NAS already so I don't need a Samba server and I am happy to let my router serve up DHCP. So I guess I'm just curious if anyone else has any good ideas that help me utilize this cool little piece of hardware.

I will probably get around to setting up bacula on there at some point but I'm just not backup crazy at home.

*Edit - I forgot to add I'm running 12.04

Beans
    Distro

Re: Mac Mini Server Ideas?

Bump

Beans
    Distro

- Dont know if you have any use for usenet? Could try setting up sabnzb on there for any of your download needs? I use the program sickbeard for downloading a lot of TV shows that i miss if im working or busy. Its great does it automatically and you choose what qulaity you would like to download with.

- OpenLDAP server for authentication around the house/flat?

- Rsync server for all your machines?

Some are slightly overkill but would be fun to do.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by LinuxBill View Post
    - Dont know if you have any use for usenet? Could try setting up sabnzb on there for any of your download needs? I use the program sickbeard for downloading a lot of TV shows that i miss if im working or busy. Its great does it automatically and you choose what qulaity you would like to download with.

- OpenLDAP server for authentication around the house/flat?

- Rsync server for all your machines?

Some are slightly overkill but would be fun to do.
    I'm on limited bandwidth so I try to keep my downloads to a minimum but that sounds like a good idea if I didn't have the restriction. I've thought about doing an LDAP setup that might be fun!

Rsync server would give me what functionality? I would think that it would be only usefull if I had some actual space on that machine which only has a 60GB HD.

More information about my setup:

Main Machine - 2011 27" iMac Core i5 Dual boot Mt Lion and Win 7
    NAS - D-Link DNS-321 with dual 1TB Hitachi drives in Raid-1
    Secondary Machine - Dell XPS 435 w/ Vista Ultimate (not sure what I'm going to do with this)
    Streamer - NetGear NTV300SL rooted
    Last edited by eenofonn; January 14th, 2013 at 06:43 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by eenofonn View Post
    I'm on limited bandwidth so I try to keep my downloads to a minimum but that sounds like a good idea if I didn't have the restriction. I've thought about doing an LDAP setup that might be fun!

Rsync server would give me what functionality? I would think that it would be only usefull if I had some actual space on that machine which only has a 60GB HD.

More information about my setup:

Main Machine - 2011 27" iMac Core i5 Dual boot Mt Lion and Win 7
    NAS - D-Link DNS-321 with dual 1TB Hitachi drives in Raid-1
    Secondary Machine - Dell XPS 435 w/ Vista Ultimate (not sure what I'm going to do with this)
    Streamer - NetGear NTV300SL rooted
    Rsync would let you back up your key folders and config files to your mac mini. Might only need a 10GB partition? Even do full backups if you attach a USB HDD ?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by LinuxBill View Post
    Rsync would let you back up your key folders and config files to your mac mini. Might only need a 10GB partition? Even do full backups if you attach a USB HDD ?
    Oh you must not have seen my statement about Bacula

Beans
    Distro

Just a note regarding my setup. I have removed minidlna and installed Plex.... wow what a difference
    Ubuntu Server User - OSX and Windows Desktop