Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wireless USB problem in Ubuntu with VirtualBox vm

Beans

Re: Wireless USB problem in Ubuntu with VirtualBox vm

Just tried that. Still not working.

Beans

Just tried that. Still having the same problem.

squakie is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I wonder if having the NAT network device makes it such that the wireless isn't working. Perhaps (if you haven't already) you should either try testing it with the network adapter on the host not plugged in, or by disabling the NAT device in the VM settings.

Beans

I tried that also. Still nothing unfortunately.

Are any of you using this same device through VirtualBox and have this setup working with the wireless capabilities (wlan0)?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Well, if you are trying to access the device directly from the VM and not as a virtual device via the host adapter, then I would suppose you also need a driver. Why not try connecting with host adapter (NAT) and then trying Additional Drivers and see if anything shows up? You may need to check network manager and be sure that wired connections is enabled.

I'm also curious, if you don't mind, why you aren't just using the host adapter? I assume you do know it just shares it with the host - the host will still have net access while the VM is using the virtual adapter.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Wink Re: Wireless USB problem in Ubuntu with VirtualBox vm

I just thought of something else - I'm just not sure if they apply anymore:

- it used to be you had to add a filter in order to use a USB device. Just putting in a single rule with a name but no conditions used to allow all USB devices to be accessed.

- have you enabled the device by clicking on the USB icon on the VM? I'm not sure if this still applies or not either.

Some things have changes since Oracle picked up these things.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Uh, I noticed in the screen shots you posted you are looking at the NAT adapter and it is device 2. What is listed under device1, 3 and 4?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by squakie View Post
    - it used to be you had to add a filter in order to use a USB device. Just putting in a single rule with a name but no conditions used to allow all USB devices to be accessed.

- have you enabled the device by clicking on the USB icon on the VM? I'm not sure if this still applies or not either.
    Hello Squakie,

Yes I have tried tried that also. I added the wirless USB device to the vm filter, but it doesn't make a difference.

Regarding the Network Settings for the adapters, I have adapters 3, 4 disabled. Adapter 1 is Attached to: NAT and the Adapter Type: Intel PRO... My wireless USB isn't found in either of those Attached To or Adapter Type.

#

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hum, in the screen shot you posted earlier it shows you are looking at device 2. Does that mean device 1 and device 2 look the same right now?

Beans

Yea. Well they were the same, but now I also disabled adapter 2 since it didn't make a difference when I used a NAT adapter type. Doing that only gave me a ethx connection, but I also want the wlanx capabilities.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast