Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Few issues with Ubuntu especially with 5.1 system

Beans

Few issues with Ubuntu especially with 5.1 system

I've been using Ubuntu in VMs for the past 3 years and finally decided to give the 64-bit version a try on a physical install, however I've been running into few issues:

1. My audio is missing the center channel of my 5.1 speakers, and therefore most of my HD movies have no dialog, and the subwoofer doesn't work either. The default 5.1 sound setting is a total joke and doesn't even work properly. The system software doesn't even have additional audio tuning options for speaker-specific configuration like on Windows. On Windows the driver software automatically adjusted all sound channels as they should be but can't find anything on Ubuntu - the options are simply not there, the settings are barely even comparable to Windows.

2.I've typed my password about a thousand times already to install software, which makes me wish that things should be simple as in Windows (Can't there be some UAC-alike thing in Ubuntu). How can I once for all avoid typing my password each time I want to install something?

Where can I obtain a decent driver for my sound card (SoundMAX ADI 1988B)?

3. I've no resolution to the mouse scroll speed issue, there simply isn't any option in settings to adjust the mouse scroll speed, what kind of modern OS doesn't have this? How can I have this settings without installing any additional software? Add to this a ridiculous default mouse scrolling speed with no option to change it in the OS, and you're left with a rather unpleasant experience.

4. Why can't there be a simple user friendly GUI for Linux software installers? why do I have to mess up with tar.gz files? Why not simply some .exe-alike installers? (.deb is not even close) - Why does this have to be so complicated?

5. I figured I'd update my nVidia drivers. Now every time I've used Linux, I've been scared of this step, as it more often than not, fails. Using the Ubuntu Software Centre, I selected the "tested" nvidia current drivers, and then restarted X to load the new drivers. This as always was a disaster. Upon logging in to the desktop, I no longer had Unity, I recall this happening in 12.04 also, but hoped it'd be fixed by now. Needless to say fixing this involved loading a terminal, removing the drivers, downloading the kernel source and the headers and trying again. This did work, but what a massive pain in the *** which shows that no matter how pretty they make the OS, it's just a clusterbomb of not quite right. I found out that it was some kinda of unfixed bug in Ubuntu itself.

Why do such things have to be so complicated? On Windows you just have to click on a setup file, sit tight and everything is done perfectly without even having to mess up with terminal windows etc.. Needless to say the Nvidia driver feels half baked, not even comparably to first grade Nvidia quality drivers for Windows.

6. How can I move the Unity Launcher to the bottom - they say Ubuntu is so customizable but I didn't find anything about that, nothing except a thread from the 11.xx days with steps that don't even work with 12.10.

7. The default fonts are horrible for the most part, especially distorted and washed out in Chrome. Has something to do with rendering but it occurs even with the default display driver. I have no clue why. I'm using a GTX460 if that matters.

I'm so disappointed in this release as I was expecting a perfect out of the box experience but as of yet, it's still just too much hassle, especially when you have to use the terminal to do almost everything. I almost never used CMD on Windows for basic stuff like installing drivers, configuring the system or doing any complex things. The issue with Ubuntu is with the ease of use and proper software, it's too complex for the average user.
    Last edited by Yowan; January 10th, 2013 at 06:40 AM.

Beans

Re: Few issues with Ubuntu especially with 5.1 system

I'm very happy with Ubuntu 12.04 LTS myself.

You can use the Ubuntu software center to install software without tar.gz files most of the time. There are a few special cases where you do have to tweak things in more advanced ways, but these are the exception, not the rule. And once you do them, generally you don't have to keep doing them.

It is not recommended to remove the admin (sudo) password to install software, just like it's not recommend in Windows. (it's REALLY not recommended in Windows, as you make yourself much more secure and vulnerable to infections there.) If you really want to get rid of the password, try here:

http://www.howtogeek.com/116757/8-wa...udo-on-ubuntu/

It is recommended instead that you make the timeout longer so you can go longer between needing to type it from the last time.

Otherwise, your post seems as much about complaining than asking for help, and I can't help you with the attitude except suggesting you try another Linux distro or stick with Windows if you are unhappy with Ubuntu. Ubuntu is far from perfect, but for what it is, it's quite amazing. I just started playing with Windows 8 and it gave me quite a headache - but if you'd prefer that, have fun. If you really want help with Ubuntu here, stick to constructive questions and get rid of the attitude.

Beans

Sorry for being like this but Ubuntu really drives me nuts sometimes.

I'll manage but is there anything I can do about issues 1,3 & 6? Those are my primary annoyances. Can't use Ubuntu without proper Audio drivers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Yowan View Post

I'll manage but is there anything I can do about issues 1,3 & 6? Those are my primary annoyances. Can't use Ubuntu without proper Audio drivers.
    Have a search in the Synaptic Package Manager
    This is the recommended way to install software and drivers, you might find a driver package for your issues.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tlhIngan View Post
    Have a search in the Synaptic Package Manager
    This is the recommended way to install software and drivers, you might find a driver package for your issues.
    FYI, Synaptic is not even installed by default in 12.04 LTS any longer. Ubuntu Software Center is the preferred way to install stuff now. Personally, I always install Synaptic myself (very easy) but the average new user wouldn't have it installed.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Yowan View Post

You should install your Nvidia drivers using "Additional Drivers" in the "System Settings" window in Ubuntu 12.04 . Always try the easy way, using a mouse and the Gui, before resorting to terminal work. I know I've installed such drivers for both NVidia and AMD/ATI cards in Ubuntu this way without needing to do anything in the terminal or having any problems. Just try it. As a last resort, go to NVidia's website and look for a driver.

Can't help you with the mouse scroll issue.

Can't help you with the fonts issue - I have no issue with the fonts in Chrome; they are different from the ones in Windows. I got used to them. Windows fonts look funny to me now when I go back.

Beans

I think you just described alot of whats wrong with the open-source world right there...
    Hardware support has always been linux's achilies heel. For example sound supriseing as it may seem is one of the big issues, PulseAudio is the underlieing problem there. 5.1 isn't supported that well. what sound card do you have?

try running in the terminal:
    arecord -l

If you can try to give as much info about your problem people might be able to fix it then.

Your experience was alot like mine when I was starting out I couldn't break away from windows for along time. Until ubuntu got its act together ubuntu 8.10, yes!!! always had trouble with NVIDIA graphics drivers. the problem with NVIDIA is that their drivers are propietary drivers. So ubuntu can't fix any bugs or do anything with them. If you have a serious bug with them you have to wait for the company to fix it. Linus Torvalds said "F**k NVIDIA there last year. Just tell you how frustrating it is for even the most profecant hackers.

You also want to move the launch bar to the bottom. Now theres a few options here:
    Cairo dock:
    Pros:
    Easy enough to set up and alot of customization options.
    Cons:
    Too much customisation?
    I don't know whatever floats your boat.

I hate unity I use the old reliable linux mint desktop Cinnamon desktop or Mate. You can get the installation notes here:
    http://wiki.mate-desktop.org/download

Or Cinnamon here:
    https://launchpad.net/~gwendal-lebih...innamon-stable

As for entering in your password a zillion times. Thats what makes linux OS's more secure (than the rest Windows/MacOS). Programs can't sneak by you and cause problems (like viruses, worms, trojens and rootkits).

If your on the terminal you can use:

sudo -i

For temporary root access. Make sure you use the exit command after and close the session.
    bertie

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Mulqueen View Post
    I think you just described alot of whats wrong with the open-source world right there...
    Hardware support has always been linux's achilies heel. For example sound supriseing as it may seem is one of the big issues, PulseAudio is the underlieing problem there. 5.1 isn't supported that well. what sound card do you have?

try running in the terminal:
    arecord -l

If you can try to give as much info about your problem people might be able to fix it then.

Your experience was alot like mine when I was starting out I couldn't break away from windows for along time. Until ubuntu got its act together ubuntu 8.10, yes!!! always had trouble with NVIDIA graphics drivers. the problem with NVIDIA is that their drivers are propietary drivers. So ubuntu can't fix any bugs or do anything with them. If you have a serious bug with them you have to wait for the company to fix it. Linus Torvalds said "F**k NVIDIA there last year. Just tell you how frustrating it is for even the most profecant hackers.

You also want to move the launch bar to the bottom. Now theres a few options here:
    Cairo dock:
    Pros:
    Easy enough to set up and alot of customization options.
    Cons:
    Too much customisation?
    I don't know whatever floats your boat.

I hate unity I use the old reliable linux mint desktop Cinnamon desktop or Mate. You can get the installation notes here:
    http://wiki.mate-desktop.org/download

Or Cinnamon here:
    https://launchpad.net/~gwendal-lebih...innamon-stable

As for entering in your password a zillion times. Thats what makes linux OS's more secure (than the rest Windows/MacOS). Programs can't sneak by you and cause problems (like viruses, worms, trojens and rootkits).

If your on the terminal you can use:

sudo -i

For temporary root access. Make sure you use the exit command after and close the session.
    Thanks for your reply, here is the information:
    Code:
    card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: AD198x Analog [AD198x Analog]
      Subdevices: 3/3
      Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
      Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
      Subdevice #2: subdevice #2
    card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: AD198x Digital [AD198x Digital]
      Subdevices: 1/1
      Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

Beans

I have good news just found a fella with the same problem as yourself with the same audio chip.

http://ckozler.net/?p=70

It looks like your surround sound speakers might be turned down. All you need to do is turn them up!

This post is a little bit old it dates back to ubuntu 9.10 or earlier.

Skip down to the alsa bit and run this command:

alsamixer -c 0

ALSA is very easy to use all you have to do is select the "surround", "Centre", LFE and "Side" with the left/right directon keys and use the up/down to turn the sound up. And it should work after that.
    Enjoy your movies!!!
    bertie

Beans

Unhappy Re: Few issues with Ubuntu especially with 5.1 system

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Mulqueen View Post
    I have good news just found a fella with the same problem as yourself with the same audio chip.

http://ckozler.net/?p=70

It looks like your surround sound speakers might be turned down. All you need to do is turn them up!

This post is a little bit old it dates back to ubuntu 9.10 or earlier.

Skip down to the alsa bit and run this command:

alsamixer -c 0

ALSA is very easy to use all you have to do is select the "surround", "Centre", LFE and "Side" with the left/right directon keys and use the up/down to turn the sound up. And it should work after that.
    Enjoy your movies!!!
    Still doesn't work, no surround sound either. I found out that I have to frequently switch between Sound Modes during playback until I get sound fro my subwoofer. But for some reason after few minutes it reverts back to the previous situation, i.e no surround, playback only through 4 speakers without the anything from the subwoofer. Also the sound quality is terrible compared to what I had on Windows.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast