Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Few issues with Ubuntu especially with 5.1 system

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Few issues with Ubuntu especially with 5.1 system

Just a quick note.
    Earlier in the thread you mention your sound max chip but as I understand it you are using a vm.

You need to check the vm sound emulator (there are normally a couple of choices) and make sure that the driver you have installed is the emulated one and NOT the host one.

Also the chosen emulated sound card has to be of course 5.1 compatible

Should also say that I have found that the intel 'HD' sound driver can be a pain. Every time I have to rebuild something with Intel sound I go weak at the knees. HDMI out through nVidia by far easier and always seems to just work.

In general I find the live cds very good at finding device drivers. In fact with servers ubuntu is easier to use than windows so keep persevering.
    Last edited by furything; January 25th, 2013 at 01:36 PM. Reason: extra info

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by furything View Post
    Just a quick note.
    Earlier in the thread you mention your sound max chip but as I understand it you are using a vm.

You need to check the vm sound emulator (there are normally a couple of choices) and make sure that the driver you have installed is the emulated one and NOT the host one.

Also the chosen emulated sound card has to be of course 5.1 compatible

Should also say that I have found that the intel 'HD' sound driver can be a pain. Every time I have to rebuild something with Intel sound I go weak at the knees. HDMI out through nVidia by far easier and always seems to just work.

In general I find the live cds very good at finding device drivers. In fact with servers ubuntu is easier to use than windows so keep persevering.
    I'm actually running Ubuntu on a second HDD, the sound is the only thing which is keeping me from using it on a daily basis. Why has the Ubuntu sound stack not been fixed/made to work properly on my sound card. Is there something wrong with Ubuntu or is it just some kind of bug that will be fixed in the next release?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Yowan View Post
    Why has the Ubuntu sound stack not been fixed/made to work properly on my sound card? Is there something wrong with Ubuntu or is it just some kind of bug that will be fixed in the next release?
    The bug has 0% chance of being fixed if you (or someone with your laptop) don't report it. You can't just assume that a very hardware-specific bug like that will be reported and fixed. BTW, what is your laptop model?

Beans
    Distro

looks like there was a bug report and work being done to fix it.
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...er/+bug/213206
    Have not read this to see if fixed or if there is a description of a process to get surround sound to work now. I will leave that to you to read

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by furything View Post
    Have not read this to see if fixed or if there is a description of a process to get surround sound to work now. I will leave that to you to read
    Maybe you should read it ( ) since the bug is about the digital output and not missing center/subwoofer on analog 5.1

Beans
    Distro

Sorry Temüjin yes I probably should.

This will teach me to take time and read threads rather than GLANCE.

Installing win 2008 r2 on a sunfire
    box which is far more frustrating than running ubuntu server 12:10 on one.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Temüjin View Post
    The bug has 0% chance of being fixed if you (or someone with your laptop) don't report it. You can't just assume that a very hardware-specific bug like that will be reported and fixed. BTW, what is your laptop model?
    I'll look into it, where exactly should I report hardware-specific problems? I'm using a PC btw, the sound card is an Asus Supreme FXII which is not completely a standalone card as it is plugged in the audio riser slot of my board). On Windows it required a driver which automatically adjusted the speaker setup. I couldn't find the Linux version of that thing on Asus's website. It seems that they never provided any linux drivers.

Beans

Really I'd like to try to fix something there if you could post as much as you can and anyone else that has the same hardware. Link the info to launchpad and we'll try to get this thing up to speed.

I was looking to do some sound hardware hacking so give us a hand there with the post above:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...er/+bug/213206

Or not 505 error there... so close.
    Please post in new bug report:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...r/+bug/1120853

Could someone give me a more verbose output of the above driver for development purposes?

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingSoundProblems

wget http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-info.sh -O alsa-info.sh && bash alsa-info.sh
    It will run automatically and then file it in my new bug report:

Thanks.
    Last edited by Hugh Mulqueen; February 10th, 2013 at 06:15 AM.
    bertie

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12