Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Samsung Series 9 Success / Ultrabooks

Beans

Re: Samsung Series 9 Success / Ultrabooks

Quote Originally Posted by Aksoy View Post
    Hey guys.

I'm planning on buying an X3C in a few days and I was wondering if anyone of you is experiencing wireless problems such as packet drops and regular disconnections.

Thanks in advance.
    I've had no wireless issues like that. I also don't have an issue after suspend, but boot from hibernate is so fast that I do that instead of suspend.

(X4C)

K

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Well, disconnections and some problems occurring after suspension or hibernation are in a way acceptable since these kinds of problems are pretty common in computers running Linux (unfortunately). Especially the hybrid systems are real pain in the back when it comes to suspension and hibernation. But one or two users who own X3C have mentioned that they have come across disconnections and packet drops while they were using the computer. This is a real problem for me since it would become an issue if the connection dropped while downloading some files and so on. You can see my and Mr arune's posts in this forum where he explains the occurrences of these issues. As I also mentioned in that forum, there are users owning the same piece of hardware without having any complaints about the wireless performance so I'm confused. Also I was wondering if the version you own (I believe is X4D and X4C) could be the reason why you don't have such issues but I believe even though I'm not sure they have the same wireless cards. I could however get another computer such as Asus Zenbook but the Samsung is incredibly nice and I believe there are more problems with Asus Zenbook in terms of Linux compatibility and since I'm a Linux-only user, this becomes a real problem for me.
    Last edited by Aksoy; January 28th, 2013 at 06:58 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Aksoy View Post
    Well, disconnections and some problems occurring after suspension or hibernation are in a way acceptable since these kinds of problems are pretty common in computers running Linux (unfortunately). Especially the hybrid systems are real pain in the back when it comes to suspension and hibernation. But one or two users who own X3C have mentioned that they have come across disconnections and packet drops while they were using the computer. This is a real problem for me since it would become an issue if the connection dropped while downloading some files and so on. You can see my and Mr arune's posts in this forum where he explains the occurrences of these issues. As I also mentioned in that forum, there are users owning the same piece of hardware without having any complaints about the wireless performance so I'm confused. Also I was wondering if the version you own (I believe is X4D) could be the reason why you don't have such issues but I believe even though I'm not sure they have the same wireless cards. I could however get another computer such as Asus Zenbook but the Samsung is incredibly nice and I believe there are more problems with Asus Zenbook in terms of Linux compatibility and since I'm a Linux-only user, this becomes a real problem for me.
    From what I can tell the Zenbook has a MUCH higher likelihood of painful issues. This is the first laptop I've ever had without wireless issues.. but then it's the first machine I've had that doesn't have a broadcomm device.

K

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Well, I guess this computer seems to be the best option for me right now. I'm gonna have to take the risk and buy one of these. Hope I won't have that problem with it.

Thank you all for your replies.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

I love my Samsung and would recommend it to anyone. With the SSD, my boot time is approximately 2 seconds.

Beans

Well, it looks like the Samsung 9 will support Ubuntu. From reading the thread, it also appears that memory can be upgraded to 16Gb. They perfect! But, has anyone upgraded the SSD from the initial factory install to..say..512GB SSD? Just wondering if the SSD can be upgraded. I would love to have more hard disc space. I plan on purchasing this laptop in th next couple of days.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bell1996 View Post
    Well, it looks like the Samsung 9 will support Ubuntu. From reading the thread, it also appears that memory can be upgraded to 16Gb. They perfect! But, has anyone upgraded the SSD from the initial factory install to..say..512GB SSD? Just wondering if the SSD can be upgraded. I would love to have more hard disc space. I plan on purchasing this laptop in th next couple of days.
    I haven't done it but it definitely can. When I upgraded the memory the SD was sitting there completely easy to access, and I saw others online have completed this task.

K

Beans

thewump, please disregard the private message I send, you answered my question above.
    Also, do you have the link where users discuss upgrading the SSD?
    Many Many thanks for your quick replies. I plan on getting the Samsung 9 NP900X4C-A07US. Priced around $1600 at Micro Center (I know that's steep). But, I really wanted an ultrabook for awhile now and I think this one fits the bill. I really hope this works.

Beans

Hi all,

I just want to share my experience about my new NP900X4C-A02, so it may help others. I bought the laptop this week and I'm absolutely satisfied with the ubuntu experience on it so far.
    I got the machine with WIN8 trial version that enabled me to easily update the BIOS to the current version. (Some say this fixes some suspend issues).
    After it I installed ubuntu 12.04.2 with the correct BIOS options (fast and secure boot off and os type csm). So what works and what does not:
    - Works (partially unexpectedly according to the forums):
    suspend on lid close, ambient light sensor that adjusts the backlight of the keyboard (but not the display), battery indicator
    - Works (in correspondence with the forums):
    wifi, microphone, webcam, sound in general, display light fn keys, sound fn keys, battery life with TLP and brightness nearly on minimum (I don't want to get blind) and with very heavy (! running VMs and plenty of browser tabs open) usage at least 5 hours, but with normal web browsing I guess it is nearly 8-9 hours, (I guess a lot of more that I haven't tested yet.)
    - Doesn't work:
    keyboard backlight adjusting fn buttons (I don't really care since the automatic adjusting is perfect), wifi enable/disable (I guess) fn button and I don't know what the fn button with a fan on it should do but it seems to do nothing, resume from suspend with lid open.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

Anybody tried 13.04?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast