Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 41

Thread: Samsung Series 9 Success / Ultrabooks

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Beans
    603
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Samsung Series 9 Success / Ultrabooks

    Quote Originally Posted by erinspice View Post
    Hello, all. I just got the NP900X4C, the i7/256 GB version. Installed Oneiric on it via PXE before thinking there might be Windows-only firmware updates. *headdesk*

    Now trying to find out if I should do the upgrades to Precise and beyond. I'm reading https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SamsungSeries9. Any other experiences with supported or broken features in a specific version of Ubuntu?
    if you don't keep windows on the machine, is there any way to get these future firmware updates?

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Software Devel: HSV, AL
    Beans
    58
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

    Re: Samsung Series 9 Success / Ultrabooks

    I don't know, I've yet to research that. My husband says he has encountered firmware updates in the past that you can do via USB key in Linux, but I cannot find any Linux-specific downloads on Samsung.com. It's possible one of the Windows downloads just creates a USB key that the bios actually uses to do the firmware update, but I haven't even started to find out if Samsung provides something like that.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Beans
    112

    Re: Samsung Series 9 Success / Ultrabooks

    Everything I've read has indicated that it the firmware update is an EXE file and atttempts of:

    - wine solution failed
    - Virtual Environment solution failed

    which would mean

    - real windows environment required.

    I'm wondering if XP or something can be persuaded to boot off an external drive? It's been so long (2005) since I used Windows that I have no idea. For sure I'm not putting it on my SSD although if another firmware update comes along I'll probably buy a fast 256 SSD for Ubuntu and restore windows to this 128 for hard swap when required.

    K

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Beans
    112

    Re: Samsung Series 9 Success / Ultrabooks

    Quote Originally Posted by erinspice View Post
    I don't know, I've yet to research that. My husband says he has encountered firmware updates in the past that you can do via USB key in Linux, but I cannot find any Linux-specific downloads on Samsung.com. It's possible one of the Windows downloads just creates a USB key that the bios actually uses to do the firmware update, but I haven't even started to find out if Samsung provides something like that.
    I'm at a full charge and with those settings I posted the link from my indicator is wavering right now between 6 and 7 hours. It WILL waver as part of the settings are now on-demand / cpu scaling power which will draw more battery where needed.

    Happy to report since adding these settings that I don't seem to have any issues with wifi on wake which I've seen in the past due to power settings. Haven't done any USB testing yet though so can't confirm if USB wakes up on demand.

    K

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Software Devel: HSV, AL
    Beans
    58
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

    Re: Samsung Series 9 Success / Ultrabooks

    That's a good idea. Maybe I'll get an extra SSD for that purpose, too. I haven't used Windows since 2000.

    ETA: I always have problems with wifi-on-wake. Maybe I'll try that out. So I've been developing with mine for about 4 hours now and I've supposedly got 4:35 remaining on my battery. That's, of course, with wifi on, and also Bluetooth, though Bluetooth is not in use ATM.
    Last edited by erinspice; January 18th, 2013 at 08:12 PM. Reason: cross-post

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Beans
    112

    Re: Samsung Series 9 Success / Ultrabooks

    Quote Originally Posted by erinspice View Post
    That's a good idea. Maybe I'll get an extra SSD for that purpose, too. I haven't used Windows since 2000.

    ETA: I always have problems with wifi-on-wake. Maybe I'll try that out. So I've been developing with mine for about 4 hours now and I've supposedly got 4:35 remaining on my battery. That's, of course, with wifi on, and also Bluetooth, though Bluetooth is not in use ATM.
    I don't know how you are getting that battery life. I wouldn't change a thing. I just checked bios wondering if I had the "Only charge battery to 80% switched on" (which extends battery life) but I don't. Jealous

    On the 80% I've had the machine apart and switching out the battery will be such a trivial step that I'd rather have the benefit of the longer charge.

    K

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Software Devel: HSV, AL
    Beans
    58
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

    Re: Samsung Series 9 Success / Ultrabooks

    I'd heard it ships with power-saving mode on in the bios, and I haven't changed anything. Did you turn it off to get more processor speed? The only other thing I can think of is that mine is the i7/256 GB model, so there may be other improvements or compensations for battery life in that model.

    ETA: I did set my brightness to default to 25 on wake and boot.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Beans
    112

    Re: Samsung Series 9 Success / Ultrabooks

    Quote Originally Posted by erinspice View Post
    I'd heard it ships with power-saving mode on in the bios, and I haven't changed anything. Did you turn it off to get more processor speed? The only other thing I can think of is that mine is the i7/256 GB model, so there may be other improvements or compensations for battery life in that model.

    ETA: I did set my brightness to default to 25 on wake and boot.
    I bet the i7 is the difference. Mines i5. On Power saving next time I boot I'll have a look but I think there is a "Power saving" setting and also a "Take it easy on the battery by only charging it to 80%" setting and I think I am set to OFF and OFF for those.

    K

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Beans
    15
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Samsung Series 9 Success / Ultrabooks

    Hey guys.

    I'm planning on buying an X3C in a few days and I was wondering if anyone of you is experiencing wireless problems such as packet drops and regular disconnections.

    Thanks in advance.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Software Devel: HSV, AL
    Beans
    58
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

    Re: Samsung Series 9 Success / Ultrabooks

    I get disconnected on suspend, always have to manually re-enable wireless after coming back from a suspend. I have never seen a disconnect or unexpected network issues during regular use.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •