Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: windows 98

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Angry windows 98

Hello. I need a windows xp disc for free ASAP. My windows 98 computer has gotten on my last nerve. I do not have regular access to the internet. I need a windows xp sp1 or 1a disc that is bootable. Please help me. I need it as fast as i can get it. What would be the best way to go at it. If u have one and are willing to send it P.M. Me and ill give you my address. Ill pay for postage if neecesary. Please anyone, help a guy out.

Beans

Re: windows 98

Install Linux for free or pay for XP. What you are asking is quite illegal...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

No actually its not. Windows xp is FREE for download off of microsoft and msdn. I just need it on a disc. Ill pay for a new liscence. Its not that diffucult.

Beans

Probably it's not illegal to give away your copy of windows. But what you're asking for is certainly strange. Maybe what you want is on ebay. Or, as bfmetcalf suggests, your problem can be ameliorated by considering an ubuntu livecd. If you tell us the actual problem, we can maybe suggest a solution.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

You need to purchase a key to activate. You can request replacement media from Microsoft but you still need a license to use.

Here is how to request replacement media, if you have an XP license: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326246

Alternatively, here is the Ubuntu download page: http://www.ubuntu.com/download

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by gerrman97 View Post
    No actually its not. Windows xp is FREE for download off of microsoft and msdn. I just need it on a disc. Ill pay for a new liscence. Its not that diffucult.
    Right, if you can download it so easily from MSDN, you would already have a license, so why make the thread?
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

1. Stop talking down to me. Im not illiterate. I know plenty about windows. Ive never used 98 before today. I prefer windows xp and 7. Hell even 2000 is easier to use. My problem is, i am trying to update as far as i can go in the windows stage on THIS hd. I have 3 of them. One has Ubuntu 12.04.1 precise pangolin and #2 has an unactivated out of time windows xp. #3 has windows 98. I have enough money to buy a new liscence for windows xp. Problem is, i dont have the install disc. I installed xp on a friends computer and lost the disc. Im going to erase the partition of that hd with windows 98 on it and install xp. Im going to format the other two and use them for storage. All i need is a windows xp disc. I have an ubuntu disc. The problem with ubuntu is that my computer is 14 years old with a pentium II and 316 megs of sdram. Its just not stable enough to hold it. Not to mention win98 wont allow me to use any of my mass storage devices. The drivers are too old. They dont work. If you cant get disc i can.

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Maybe I am missing something. What does this have to do with Ubuntu or Linux? Probably you get more useful info in a Windows forum.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Can you even run XP and still get decent performance on a Pentium 2 with 316MB of RAM?

Why not just buy a retail copy of XP? That is, if they still sell them.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Why not just call MS and get a new activation number for your current XP install? I may take a bit of time, but it's way quicker than waiting from someone to send you an XP disk.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast