Thread: Sound output to headphones not working

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Sound output to headphones not working

I am using Xubuntu 12.10 fully updated on an HP 200-5220a. I have a Hi-Fi system plugged into the headphones output. This has worked without any problems for nearly two years until the last 2 or 3 days. Then the sound output stopped. I think I may have reset something somewhere!

I can correct the problem by going into the Menu > Multimedia > PulseAudio Volume Control. Under the Output Devices tab the Port setting shows "Speakers" If I change this to "Headphones" everything works OK as expected.

Problem is that this setting change does not get saved and shows "Speakers" again after I reboot. I then need to reset it each time. I have looked for settings files for PulseAudio but cannot find them. I have tried Settings Manager > Save Session but the setting is still not saved.

Please help

TIA

Alan
    HP-200-5220a - Pentium Dual Core - 3GHz x 2
    LinuxMint 17.2

Acer 5750Z - Intel Dual Core - 2.1GHz x 2

Windows 10

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: Sound output to headphones not working

Solved! I went into Menu > Multimedia > GNOME ALSA Mixer (gnome-alsamixer from the terminal) and ticked the "Speaker" box. Also made sure the "Master" and "Headphones" boxes were unticked (ie un-muted). This fixed the problem even after a reboot.

This may help others with similar problems
    HP-200-5220a - Pentium Dual Core - 3GHz x 2
    LinuxMint 17.2

Acer 5750Z - Intel Dual Core - 2.1GHz x 2

Windows 10